Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2005, 9:09 PM   #1

After four years with my Canon Pro90 IS,I am ready to up grade. I really like the convience of the zoom range of the Pro90. It has seen a lot of travel via motorcycle & in and out of saddlebags & hiking, bang around but never missed a beat with thousands of photo's. I was going to replace with the Panasonic FZ20 or FZ5, but my wife wants me to spend the money for a digital SLR and after lots of research have decided on the Canon Rebel 300, I don't need the added pixels of the 350XT.

I know I will need at least two lenses plus additional memory cards. My question concerns the durability of carrying the Rebel & lenses the way I have been carrying my Pro90? Also, I read about dust on the sensor when changing lenses. Can the Rebel handle this kind of travel?It will be my main camera for another four years or longer.

Funny thing, if I get the Rebel, the camera body will cost less than my Pro90 did four years ago.
Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:23 PM   #2

I have the 300D and when I purchased it I was a little worried about the plastic body, It feels pretty solid to me anyway. A month ago the camera was dropped from about 4 foot height onto concrete (accident at a wedding), Damage: pin came out of batterydoor, brokeand the flap fell off, pin was found, super glued together and the door was repaired, (Ive since got a battery grip so the door is not a problem.) A scratch on the underside of the camera was all I could see damage wise. It had a large older style heavy lens on it so the impact with that weight was pretty loud. Even though I thought the internal workings would have to have been damaged they were not, all is working well as when new. So I nowdisregard all Ive read about the plastic covering although Im very careful with the camera now, the one off accident for me proved the durability. Its a good camera overall.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:24 PM   #3

PS

for the travel side of it, Id get a good camera bag, maybe one of those lowpro things that are water proof
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote