Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:57 PM   #1

In July I'll be heading to New York for two weeks. I purchased a 20D for this trip. Last time I was there about a month ago I shot alot of photos with film. I'm looking forward to not having to buy film, and pay to have it developed. Well, this is the deal. I think that I have everything figured out as to whatneed in the camera system. I have a 20D with the vertical grip, a 2GB Lexar 80X memory card, 28-135mm IS and a 420EX flash, and 2 BP-511 batteries and NimH AA batteries for the flash.

Is there anything that you would suggest I take? I'll take my labtop to clear my memory card off each day. With the 2 GB mem card I get 520 large fine photos. I'm thinking of getting another memory card. like a 256mb or 512mb. Either that or carry my labtopin a backpack. What do you suggest?Wouldyou recommend a nother battery? Should Itake a tripod? (I'm flying)

I'mhave also thoughta little about getting insurance on my camera gear?What do you think. And who insures camera stuff?

Were is a good place to take photos in NYC. Is there a Photographers guide to NYC?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 8:38 PM   #2

my two cents:

A tripod is nice if you want to be in some of your pics. Itake family portraits on vacations. Also, the city might afford some nice night shots. A compact tripod is always an option to keep the weight and bulk down.

Something that works for me is to place all the wall-warts and chargers in a separate bag along with a short 3-way extension cord or two (much leaner that bulky power strips).Having all that stuffin one placemakes charging up easier and I'm less likely to leave anything behindin the room. The first time I didn't do this I had chargers and adapters scattered all over the hotel room.

Two batteries was always enough for me, I charge almost every night.

Some homeowners policies cover photography equipment while travelling, if not you can surely get an additional rider on a homeowners or renters policy. I think that is wise.

I guess that more like 3 or 4 cents

have a nice trip

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:47 PM   #3

I just came back from New York last week so my main advice would be to travel light and have a wide angle lens. Just going to the usual tourist sites and walking around I shot 115 pics and about 1.5 hours of video in 3 days. Time square was an excellent place to take some nice shots. I only had my Nikon 4200 with me for the pictures and I really missed have a wide angle lens. Between the subway and walking the streets I think the less gear you have the better off you'll be.
mliebs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:41 PM   #4

Thanks. I was in NYC about a month ago however I just took a point and shoot 35mm camera that i picked up amy local pawn shop for $20.00. Well, I would have like to had my SLR but I was worried about getting it stolen. Also I just got my 20d 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the info.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:33 AM   #5

I'll hook you up with the best photography spots- check out my posts under my profile to see some of the new york pictures

1. The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory on East River - night views are simply amazing

2. Ride the free ferry to Staton Islandaround sunset - you'll get great views of the statue of liberty

3. Roosevelt Island - a hidden secret in NYC - find the metro line that stops in the island (I believe its the F line). Ride the Ski Lift on your way back

4. Time Square

5. Empire Building - it's hard to get nice night shots from up there because tripods are not allowed. Sunset views can be nice though. Try to get there an hour before sunset and stay for the night views

6. Grand Central Terminal

Let me know if you need any help. Feel free to e-mail me for more info
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 8:19 PM   #6

Hoooba wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that NYC is not just buildings and such. New Yorkers make for great shots as well! :|
Quote:
I'll hook you up with the best photography spots- check out my posts under my profile to see some of the new york pictures

1. The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory on East River - night views are simply amazing

2. Ride the free ferry to Staton Islandaround sunset - you'll get great views of the statue of liberty

3. Roosevelt Island - a hidden secret in NYC - find the metro line that stops in the island (I believe its the F line). Ride the Ski Lift on your way back

4. Time Square

5. Empire Building - it's hard to get nice night shots from up there because tripods are not allowed. Sunset views can be nice though. Try to get there an hour before sunset and stay for the night views

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 8:19 PM   #7

Hoooba wrote:
Quote:
I got an insurance policy on my 20D and accessories from State Farm. $80 for the year and covers pretty much everything from accidents to theft.
Quote:
H
Quote:

4. Time Square

Old May 6, 2005, 10:55 PM   #8

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
Hoooba wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget that NYC is not just buildings and such. New Yorkers make for great shots as well! :|

That's true. However, I guess it depends on what you are into. Myself, I am into landscape photography. I guess getting shots of New Yorkers would be a tricky deal. Never tried :-)
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 1:17 PM   #9

I'd be more worried about my laptop getting stolen if I were staying in a hotel.

Better to buy a few big cards, like a couple of 1 or 2 gig cards. Each gig holds a ton of shots: not sure how many you plan to take in two weeks.

Insurance sounds like a great answer, maybe you're already covered under your homeowner's or apartment insurance or whatever. Check it out.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 4:03 PM   #10

I bought a FlashTrax 40 gig portable hard drive. The size of a wallet and much more portable than a laptop. Of course not as functional as a laptop for other stuff, but definitely easier to carry around in case you run out of card space. I would look at the Epson P2000 which has a better lcd than the FlashTrax. I liked the idea of the clamshell design of the FlashTrax though which protects the lcd. These are an expensive alternative to lugging a laptop around with you while you are shooting.

H