Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:59 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how 20D users are tranfering their images across.

Currently I am using the following technique but am not happy with it as it is clumsy, a little slow, and providesno unique renaming.

Would bevery happy to hear how you are all doing it.

My technique:

- plug in cam

- goto Windows Explorer

- goto each individual folder and copy all

- paste into a folder on my pc

- repeat for all folders.

Clumsy huh! Thanks for any advice.

Cheers, Tim

timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2

If you are looking for a free automated alternative, take a look at http://www.picasa.com/

Free digicam software from Google.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:35 PM   #3

Yeah, That is how I do it. I picked up a firewire Compact Flash card reader. So I don't have to have the Camera turned on. Also the Firewire is way, way faster than the USB 2.0 readers and especially the USB on my 20D.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:55 PM   #4

I agree that a good FireWire reader will be faster than a good USB2 reader (I bet that doesn't have to be true, but all the reviews I've seen show that it is.) But the USB interface on the 20D isn't very good so I bet even a decent USB2 reader will be faster than it!

I basically do the same thing yo udo TimmyB. I used to use software to do the downloading (it came with my 10D) but Canon discontinued it and upgrading their software one time caused it to be replaced with a much worse piece of software. So now I do it by hand.

Downloader Pro is a good program, you could see if it fit your needs. It is a commercial package, though.

I don't know if (or what) picasa offers in the way of downloading capabilities, but I know some people like it for its image organization abilities.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

Thanks Eric. Downloader Pro is great and just what I have been looking for.

Cheers, Tim
timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6

Not to add wood to the fire, but by a technical standpoint, USB 2.0 is faster then Firewire. USB 2.0 upto 480Mbps, Firewire upto 400Mbps. However, USB 2.0 uses much more processing powerto sustain maximum throughput. Firewire cansustain peak throughput indefinitely, withouttaxing your CPU much.

Now if we are talking about Firewire 800, that is a different story. Firewire 800 has a maximum throughput of 800Mbps. Hands down the winner.

Also, Downloader Pro looks like some neat software.

Thanks

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:28 PM   #7

I use photo mechanic. It's great for combining the files from all the folders on the CF plus it lets you put info into the files as it "ingests" them to the hard drive.

EDIT but it's not free :-(
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:28 PM   #8

I use a Canon 20D.........and Elements 3.0.........have it set on auto.......when I plug in the card reader or camera to the pc, the pics are grabbed and put into a directory with one click.

JGB
pacman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:09 AM   #9

I have an external WD hard drive, that has a card reader. It connects via USB 2.0 and I can transfer a full 2 gig card in 5 minutes. Is it faster than that with firewire?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:56 AM   #10

I follow the directions in the EOS Digital Software Guide page W-18. Using a card reader would be a better way to go, and currently I'm looking at getting one of the following for my laptop:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...388&is=REG

A bit more expensive than an external reader, but for me this would be more convenient. Note: If you don't use a 32 Bit type of Cardbus adapterthe transferwill be too slow, and you have to really be careful since some of these devices are not compatible with Type II CF cards.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote