Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:57 AM   #11

TELL ME WHERE TO GET ONE!!!! amazing prices, i almost paid 2499 for the 20d a few days ago.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:37 AM   #12

Looks like the 15% off sale at dell.com (Dell Home) just got better. In addition to the 15% off:

Stackable Coupons
  • $35 off $300 One time use coupons can be found on ebay [/*]
  • $35 off $250 if you have a Dell Preferred Account code: ?2V5GDM8W?4444 [/*]
  • Dell Big Bucks coupon found at the back of the Dell catalog that they mail out to you[/*]
  • Dell concession coupon (also found in ebay)[/*]
After adding all the discounts, I was able to price out the Rebel XT body for $675 (first 3 coupons). 20D kit is between $1150 to $1200. If you're gonna buy coupons from ebay, make sure that they will stack. They must be Dell Home coupons. Ask the seller for more details.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:42 PM   #13

HiltonP wrote:
Quote:
Here in South Africa the 20D + kit lens is selling for approx. $2700 (US) in the camera stores, and approx. $2400 from the local online stores.

The 350D + kit lens is selling online for approx. $1500 online locally.

The 300D has slipped off some local online sites.

And then of course one can buy a 1ds MkII for the bargain price of $11000 !!

Right now it is cheaper to get on a plane, fly to NYC, pick up a 20D from B&H, enjoy a day or two in the city, and fly home. In the case of the 1ds you'd have enough money over to fly back to Irvine, CA if you ever needed it serviced!
Another South African on the forum here... En route to Houston tomorrow for 3 days - seriously considering picking up a 20D... Was wondering - Does Canon honour their guarantees internationally - or will a US purchased Canon only be under warranty in US - after reading some experiences on the forum where some recalibration, etc was needed - it is of some concern to me...
andrewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:04 AM   #14

Hi Andrew,

As far as I know the warranty for Canon equipment sold in North America is only for Canada and the USA. It might be worthwhile to give the USA Canon 1-800 a call to verify.

Edit:

No need to call Canon, the following link gives the details:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=10464

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:30 AM   #15

Thanks BobA :sad:... question is - I guess the question is whether the comfort of a local warranty is worth the difference in price.... or what risk i'm taking without an internationally accepted / local warranty. Anybody got some views on that?

Andrew
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:33 AM   #16

Andrew . . . my view on this was that if I had to buy locally (R15000 for the body only) then I would not do it. I cannot justify that price as a non-pro. I would then have had to pay R1200+ for 1GigB cards, and R6000+ for a half decent wide-angle lens. All of that would have pushed the total price into crazy territory.

I ended up purchasing a body, 3 lenses, a pouch, and 4 Gig's worth of cards for a lotLESS than a body only in SA !! It was what the American's call a "no brainer".

There is the risk of camera problems and warranty issues, but my experience has shown that the local distributors don't really support their buyers anyway (certainly nothing like one reads of in the US). I've had to pay for repairs in the past, with no guarantee of correction. In SA they seem to have a "take it or leave it" attitude.

I'm going to take my chances re. warranty and repairs. Canon SA will still repair a camera purchased overseas (they have to), but no doubt at a cost. The savings I made on the initial purchase can cover that if need be.

P.S. . . . I'm also of the belief that a lot of the focus and lockup issues posted on the forums are due to a lack of knowledge, coupled with the ease of returning / swapping which one enjoys in the US. The very narrow DoF of some camera / lens combos is catching a lot of people out. There does seem to be a lockup problem with the 20D's extended grip so I'd tread carefully there if you need one (it does seem easily fixed with some common sense though).

HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:24 AM   #17

Thanks Hilton - looking at those price comparisonstends to focus the mind on the decision again - as you said -'no-brainer'...as they say - "watch this space..."
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:29 AM   #18

:G

OK - I've done it - Battery is being charged as I type. Bought myself the 20D w 17-85 lens in Houston... decision was made a little easier for me as to whether I should get a body with lens kit or body only &non-canon lenses as the the supplier I went to only had the 17-85 option in stock... :roll:

Andrew
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:32 AM   #19

Way to go Andrew !! . . .

That battery should be ready to go in an hour, and then the fun begins!

Keep me posted.
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:52 PM   #20

I paid $607.67 for a black Canon XT from Dell shipped overnight free.

$899 less 15% coupon

less $35 bonus coupon

less 10% for using DPreferred credit

less 2% Dell Instant Rebate

less 3% fatwallet.com rebate

oh and the free shipping normally $7 ground was upgraded to Free overnight by Dell customer support when I complained about having to wait 2 weeks. But they wouldn't give me the free 256mb CF card everyone else got.

Oh well I guess I made out OK.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote