Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:36 AM   #11

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
The question you have to really ask is, now that I have spent over $2000 on lenes should I cheap them down? If the answer is yes buy a $50-75 generic filter, if its no spring the extra $100-$150

Here are the top brands that you wont have to worry about
Heliopan, Leica, B+W, and Hoya
Actually, that's not really my question. I understand I want to put the best filter on my expensive lenses.
My questions are: Which is the best and why?
Examples help me immensely, which is why I am asking about comparisons and/or personal experience.

According to specs I have found on the web (they could be wrong):

The Hoya Super HMC is THIN, but doesn't have MULTI-COATING or FRONT THREADS
The Hoya Pro 1 is THIN, does not have MULTI-COATING, but does have FRONT THREADS.
The B+W has MULTI-COATING, but I can find no other specs anywhere, including the B+W web site. The prices among these vary widely.
I suspect I want THIN, perhaps VERY THIN in case I replace my 20D at some point, MULTI-COATING and FRONT THREADS, but I don't know which one(s) have all of these features.

Thanks again!
mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:32 PM   #12

Quote:
The Hoya Super HMC is THIN, but doesn't have MULTI-COATING or FRONT THREADS
The Hoya Pro 1 is THIN, does not have MULTI-COATING, but does have FRONT THREADS.
Not sure where you got these facts, but the 'MC' in the HMC, S-HMC and S-HMC Pro1 stands for multi-coating. All 3 are multicoated - the 'super' have additional coatings.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:56 PM   #13

Well I hate to break it to you but there isnt really filter reviews with polarizers head to head due to the fact there is so many varabiles that you cant control.

if you want to get 1 good filter and forget it get the B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Slim version. Its sealed aginst the elements and its top of the line.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:09 PM   #14

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
if you want to get 1 good filter and forget it get the B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Slim version. Its sealed aginst the elements and its top of the line.
So you're saying THIS is the best filter at $280? It's certainly the most expensive. B&H also seems to be the only place I can find selling this filter, although it's out of stock.
Has anyone else used this filter?
Are there other reputable sites that might carry it?

Thanks,
mactek

EDIT: I just found THIS one for $170 and suspect it's the one you meant. Anyone know how wide either of these will go before vignetting? There don't seem to be any specs listed anywhere. I can't imagine these filters aren't in some kind of demand...
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:31 PM   #15

The sencond one was it, the only down fall to sealed filters is they arnt multi coated but they are protected here is another good filter
http://www.adorama.com/HP77CPLM.html
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:47 AM   #16

Hmmm might large numbers for the price of a simple circ polarizer... and my advice on name brand is Tiffen. They make amazing filters. I bought my filter on ebay for 35 bucks canadian, and its perfect. Think about that
Chronophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:04 PM   #17

Chronophobia wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm might large numbers for the price of a simple circ polarizer... and my advice on name brand is Tiffen.* They make amazing filters.* I bought my filter on ebay for 35 bucks canadian, and its perfect.* Think about that *
I've thought about it, which is why I have questions. There's a wide gap between the price of Tiffen filters and Heliopan/Leica/B+W/Hoya filters, which is why I'd like to see some definitive evidence of a difference. If someone could show me a photo taken with a "cheap" filter with some obvious "flaw", I'd be more inclined to believe I need to spend more for a "high-quality-name-brand" filter. I don't want to buy a name. I want to buy a quality filter, even if it's a $10 Walmart brand filter. Anyone have examples?

Note: no intentional bashing of Walmart intended.

mactek
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:20 PM   #18

Check this out...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm
Actorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:28 PM   #19

Hey I work at Wal Mart thank you very much and I still refuse to buy 95% of the crap there :G
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:09 PM   #20
NHL

Well I don't have an example, but this is something you can do yourself: :idea:
Take two Tiffen polarizers look through them while rotating one of the two - you should see a darkening effect to almost black. Now repeat the same with a Heliopan set (or Hoya, B+W... etc). You should clearly see a different amount of darkening with each set of filters, the darker the better (ie more effective) - If you don't, then get the cheaper one, but IMO you'll clearly 'see' the differences.

The cost also comes from the constructions:
1. The B+W and Heliopan filters are polished from glass cylinders, very much like how a lens element is made - Most if not all others are stamped from glass sheet.
2. The more expensive filters have brass rings which doesn't misthread or contract/expand with temperature and get stuck in the lens like an aluminum alloy mount would
3. You can't see the various coating either, but when you shoot at critical angle some filters will flare more than others depending on how they interact with your lens... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote