Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

Have you done it? Is it easy? Any Tips? Did it damage your camera?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:28 AM   #2

Matthew,

Yes,

Yes (esp. if you use the sensor cleaning option on the main menu),

Use the Sensor Brush from http://www.visibledust.com I tried the blower brush (minus the brush head) first with very limited results.

No! But it did make a huge difference to the state of the sensor. One swabbing session got all but a few specks of really determined dust off and these came away on the next occassion. It isn't the cheapest method but given the cost of the sensor I wouldn't want to try anything more aggresive than this :!:

HTH
PhotoEcosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 9:23 PM   #3

I have done it using Pec pads, a spatula, and Eclipse cleaning fluid as described in www.pbase.com/copperhill .
Works very well with my 10D. You just have to be brave enough to touch your sensor!
David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 1:03 AM   #4

if you 'swab your sensor', arent you actually swabbing the IR filter?
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5

I did mine with a cotton bud :?

I was brushing off some dust and somehow my brush had grease on it and it left a smear on the sensor

That was a while ago. I've not seen any problems with my photos since. The sensor looks clean. If I tilt it to get a reflection across it, I can't see any smears
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:43 PM   #6

Gandalf065 wrote:
Quote:
I have done it using Pec pads, a spatula, and Eclipse cleaning fluid as described in www.pbase.com/copperhill .
Works very well with my 10D. You just have to be brave enough to touch your sensor!
David
I've done the same here, this works really well and is cheap. You can order a spatula with detailed instructions for a few $$ from him too.

I've read posts advising against using a (too powerful) blower. A cotton swap seems dangerous to me too, you can leave dust specs from the cotton I would think.

So far I've only cleaned my sensor once in a year. I wouldn't start cleaning it until you see specs in your pictures.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:49 AM   #7

Has anyone here done it NJ and would like help me out? I will make it worth your while... Please PM me... Thanks..
peter740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:47 PM   #8

I took mine to an authorised service centre. They told me that if you clean it too agressively you can scratch your sensor and that will be a £200 bill. On top of that, if you do more damage it can give you a £1000 bill.

Take care with your cleaning.

Carl
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 8:17 PM   #9

CarlsPhotos wrote:
Quote:
I took mine to an authorised service centre. They told me that if you clean it too agressively you can scratch your sensor and that will be a £200 bill. On top of that, if you do more damage it can give you a £1000 bill.

Take care with your cleaning.

Carl

It sounds to me like someone is trying to frighten you in to paying for a sensor clean!

It is impossible to scratch the sensor unless you first drill through the piece of glass filter that sits in front of it! It is possible to scratch the filter but I have been told that this has the same risk as when cleaning the glass on your lenses or UV filters etc. If you exercise care not to trap grit during the cleaning process then that should be fine.

As for the £1000 damage bill, someone is having a giggle :lol:you can buy two brand newbodies for that price!!

There is far too much mystery surrounding sensor cleaning, if you use the right tools and follow the advice given by people such as Copperhill....no problems. I have not met anyone in a service centre yet that will look after my camera the way that I do, so who do you trust? DIY....take the plunge.

pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:22 PM   #10

pauloffrance wrote:
Quote:
It sounds to me like someone is trying to frighten you in to paying for a sensor clean!

It is impossible to scratch the sensor unless you first drill through the piece of glass filter that sits in front of it! It is possible to scratch the filter but I have been told that this has the same risk as when cleaning the glass on your lenses or UV filters etc. If you exercise care not to trap grit during the cleaning process then that should be fine.

As for the £1000 damage bill, someone is having a giggle :lol: you can buy two brand new bodies for that price!!

There is far too much mystery surrounding sensor cleaning, if you use the right tools and follow the advice given by people such as Copperhill....no problems. I have not met anyone in a service centre yet that will look after my camera the way that I do, so who do you trust? DIY....take the plunge.
Maybe so!

But as I got my camera calibrated under warranty at the same time I'm not too worried. And for £30+VAT to have cleaned, checked and calibrated, I'd rather just pay!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote