Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:03 AM   #1

I am talking about the one that comes with the camera (20D and I am assuming the Drebel). If you look at the charger, when the light becomes solid it is 100% charged. But according to the manual (that f* manual!!!!) it is only 90% charged when it first becomes solid and you should leave it on for an additional hour (I don't have the manual in front of me, so I might be off on the time). Does this mean that if you don't take it out after that additional hour the battery will overcharge? B/c I usually put my batteries to charge before beddy bye, and I wake up, put it back in it's bag (or camera) and go. So I want to make sure I am not ruining my batteries.

One other quick question: with these lithium batteries, can I charge it if it is only half drained, or are they like NiCads and have to (should) be drained completely. Do they have that battery memory thingee??? I always get confused with all of the types of batteries. I know with NiMh batteries you can charge them any time, and you have to charge them b4 you use them. So what about the lithiums? I want to get the most out of these batteries.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:10 AM   #2

As far as I know (which usually is either too little or incorrect)!

These batteries dont have a "memory" so can be recharged at any point until fully charged. However, I've noticed people mentioning about the leave for an hour after the red light appears.

I actually use two cheap batteries bought off "evil"Bay which seem to be doing really well, plus I don't have to charge them after each day out! Although I do only take between 200-500 photos. But I leave my real Canon battery as a spare and for emergencies.

I do plan to buy another couple of batteries so I have enough spare batteries to use my battery grip! When I do, I'll buy the cheaper compatible 511A batteries

Carl.

PS...Does look like the term "RTFM" has amused you :lol: )
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:11 AM   #3

Lithiums have even less memory effect than NiMH You can safely top them off with no problems (although some lithiums are not rechargable at all).

I don't know about the Canon charger.I have the DRebeland don't worry about overcharging.

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

RTFM, I get it, "Read the f***** manual", cute, I like it. I think I will use it on my co-workers. And I am sure they will give me that same "deer in headlights" look that I always get from them. Thanx for the info, I am going out shooting now!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:29 PM   #5

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I am going out shooting now!
Cor! Alright for some being about to go out on a Thursday taking photos!

Sat in a noisey office with my servers for company

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:09 PM   #6

If you want more batteries, some where on this forum is a link to a place that sells the BA-511 batteries for $12.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote