Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:03 PM   #1

I am new to photoshop, and I think USM is one of the most important processing tools to use in conjunction with pics taken with probably any dslr, esp. the 20D. I am not good at all of those #s and was just wondering what people are setting the different paramaters to, and if they have a standard, or if they sharpen each image separately to different parameters. Either way, can someone give me some advice as to what to set (amount, radius and threshold), I would appreciate it.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:32 PM   #2

Hi Nancy,

Canon recommends starting with Amount=300%, Radius=0.3 pixels, Threshold=0, which I have found to be good formost of my shots. The following might help:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf

Page 30 has a section on sharpening.

Regards,

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:57 PM   #3

Thank you so much, Bob! You have been a big help, my settings were totally off, which was obvious by the way my pics look, I am going to download the pdf file now.

One other question: If I want more or less sharpening, do I just change the amount? And if that is correct, when would I change the radius, and the threshold?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4

Some others that have more experience may speak up, but I have only increased of decreased sharpening by changing radius. I also have a copy of Focus Magic that I play around with ... but I keep going back to the starting USM values provided by Canon.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:14 AM   #5
Super Moderator

nancy,

the funny thing about sharpening is that is really kind of subjective... me you and bob could all use entirely different settings and guess what, we all end up with sharp images.. to prove my point, i prefer a setting somewhere around 120-150 percent at maybe 1 to 1.5 radius.. threshold i leave at 0 unless i am shooting a portrait or a subject where oversharpness is unflattering.. then i place my threshold in the 3-5 range.. so try out bob's idea, try out mine, play with some settings in the middle and see what you like.. btw, i am shooting a 20d as well...

lately i have been using aprogram called ultrasharpen pro 6 (www.ultrasharpen.com).. it gives the option of a poweful manual tool for sharpening, or if you order the CD you also get a quicksharpen feature which automates it.. personally, the quicksharp can produce some of the best images around without any fiddling with settings for 95% of the images i take..

just a few things to try out.. so enjoy!!

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:43 AM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
lately i have been using a program called ultrasharpen pro 6 (www.ultrasharpen.com).
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know, I took a look on the web site. Ultrasharpen looks brilliant, so I place an order for it! At $15, it's a "no-brainer"!

Thanks for the tip. Have a virtual beer on me :-)

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:55 AM   #7

I just wanted to throw out a slight side comment.
Focus Magic is a good program, but it really isn't a "sharpening tool". It is a deconvolution tool. What this means is that it won't help you if your image is good, but needs some sharpening. It is designed to remove blur. So if your image has some camera shake it will do an amazing job removing/reducing that but you wouldn't use it on an image right out of the camera that looks "good".

I use:
200 .6 0 for my first pass of sharpening and then do selective sharpening after that (if needed.) I agree with Hards80, though, that sharpening is a personal thing and there is no "one" right way but the way you develop. Play around with the numbers and see what you get.

When I want more sharpening its a toss up (i.e. I don't know enough and I should know more!) I usually play with radius, but some times I play with amount.

The absolute biggest thing to worry about is halos. Over sharpen and its obvious. The next is too much contras. Turning a gray into a white because of too much sharpening (which really just increases contrast.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

thanks for the info eric!!, i will have to take a look at focus magic... seems like it would be another nice tool to have..

since you brought up haloing, i thought i would mention that one of my favorite things about ultrasharpen is that it is designed to sharpen without adding any haloing, and that it also selectively sharpens and thus does not increase noise in the backround or on smooth surfaces.. and as far as i can tell thus far, it seems to work as promised..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:04 PM   #9

Just found an article on USM called "Look Sharp" on p.38 of Popular Photography (& Imaging) - April 2005. Article looks good, I will read it and start a new post with recommended settings, it has a few for different situations.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:50 PM   #10

Another good source for sharpening, and other workflow related topics, is http://www.outbackphoto.com
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote