Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:36 AM   #1

Default EOS-1Ds

i concede to this generation of digital Dslrs. after blowing up a image from a 1Ds the other day sent to me by a friend. it seems the nails have been handed over for the nailing down of the coffin on film finally in the 35mm world. iso equiv 800 and literally no noise(grain). WOW! other minor issues will probably be stamped out soon. i think i may have seen the light. i have yet to see a final non Kodak promo image from Kodak. i can't wait that.

need more RAM memory now though. 768MB just barely enough to play in PS with full size images off this thing.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:26 AM   #2

Now if only they can make the camera a bit lighter and bring the price down to $1500, so that non-gods can afford it.
By the way, get more RAM... I have 1.5GB and huge 20Mpixel images just fly effortlessly.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:36 AM   #3

i'm in the process of tooling together a new box using the 3 ghz ht p4. a little winter project.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:46 PM   #4

Default EOS1Ds sample pics

The review on this site has great looking sample pictures of the EOS 1Ds, but I do wonder if the pics are really from the 16-35 and 28-135IS lenses, because they look too good.

I have the 28-135IS lens on my film bodies and even with all of the best techniques - tripod, pro films etc - I cannot quite get that sharpness and fine detail from my experience with the 28-135mm lens (or most other lenses for that matter). Is digital really that good now? Does 11mp really bring out the best in these lenses?

Also, one of my areas of work is to photograph school portraits and class groups. For the class groups - up to 60 kids in a group - we use a Mamiya RB67 because 35mm film isn't good enough. This is my next question: Will the EOS 1Ds substitute for medium format film, or do I have to wait for 22mp or better cameras?

poit
Poit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 12:19 AM   #5

Hello Poit

Here is a pro review I found on the EOS 1Ds comparing in to medium format -
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ds-notes.shtml

More great info from the main web site -
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

Interesting reading

Thanks

Ed - Canon D60 user

www.edhardy.ca
Frostbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2002, 9:46 AM   #6

This is what I found after scanning in about 2000 of my old 35mm slides and negatives: you can squeeze out an equivalent of about 3 megapixels from standard 200ASA film, and about 6 megapixels from professional film. Many of my old color slides, however, barely exceeded 2 megapixels even after extensive enhancement and tinkering.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the links Frostbyte, it is a fascinating review which answers all of my questions.

Like Nimos, I have been film scanning many of my 35mm pics - Portra 160NC, Ektachrome64, T400CN etc and I just cannot get the results that this EOS 1Ds is getting. I want to go digital...except I cannot afford to.

I work in partnership with a guy doing the school photography, he does the film processing and wet printing as well as potography, I do only the photography. The cost of going digital is still prohibitive at this time. In our situation we need to update the Lab to a digital unit (around US$150K to $300K) and the camera bodies (US$32K for four bodies between all the photographers).

I am guessing that the cost of Labs and cameras will come down dramatically over the next two to four years as the competition heats up between manufacturers.

I have done the sums for all kinds of solutions, even buying another couple of S9000 printers to print the thousands of prints we do per job, but it's just not economical compared to film/photographic prints. The maths doesn't lie.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this issue.

Poit
Poit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:49 AM   #8

If you think digital is expensive, just add up the cost of buying and developing 200 rolls of film. As for printing, a friend of mine makes his 8x10s for way less than a dollar a piece on his Canon 9000. He uses bulk third party inks at one tenth the cost of standard inks.
Old Dec 31, 2002, 5:39 PM   #9

Default EOS-1Ds

In my testing of the 1Ds the quality is amazing. As you, my film scans just don't measure up because even with fine grain films the grain becomes noticable far earlier than you run out of scanner resolution.

Couldn't getting your prints done elsewhere solve your issues in the short-term? There are a lot of places around starting to offer reasonable photo printing off CD.

Another option worth considering is a larger format printer, like the very cheap HP 100 (24" wide, few thousand A$) and chop the prints up. This way speed and cost per print get much more attractive.

Cheers,
Wayne
wcosshall is offline   Reply With Quote