Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

So I have my 20D, but I need a really kick ass macro lens for it. Price range of about 200 US to 800 US. Oh and yeah this may make me feel like an idiot, but I gotta ask. What does the 1:1 mean etc. andwhat determines the closest and most crisp image, be it the focal number (what focal number means what), or this 1:1 notation. Let me know whatcha think! Thanks.
Chronophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:56 PM   #2

It depends on what macro subjects you want to shoot.

If you're shooting living things (bugs, butterflies,...) then you need more focal length. You don't want to scare you subject. Then you probably want the Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro. Its a very good macro lens. Not "the best" (the Canon at that focal length is slightly better) but its also about $600 more!

If you can got for "less" focal length (say you're photographing stamps, coins, jewlery) then both Canon and sigma make lenses around 80mm-150mm that are cheaper. Sigma's quality has improved in the last several years so I'd seriously consider them. Not "the best" but very good.

As to the 1:1, it refers to how much magnification you get. I think the larger the second number the more magnification. Maybe someone else can tell you more.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3
djb

The larger the first number the more the magnification.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:04 AM   #4

1:1 is lifesize on the sensor. So something 22cm, (or something the size of whatever sensor you have), will cover the length the sensor. 1:2 will fill half the sensor.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:30 AM   #5

I use the Tamron 180 Macro Di and I think it's the best Macro lens you can buy. It gives you plenty of distance frombetween the subject and the lens to provide better lighting and it's razor sharp. It's drawback is it's large and heavy but if you are really serious about macro photography the 180 is the way to go.

It also doubles as an excellent 180 prime telephoto. It's the sharpest lens I own.

Glenn

GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 2:12 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, the 180mm Sigma seems to be a good choice. Anybody have links to a sample of what it can do?
Chronophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:43 PM   #7

One point to consider. The longer the lens, (150mm or 180mm), the harder it is to hand hold. I have the Sigma 150 macro. It's razor sharp, but a tripod is almost a must because, at 1:1, it's difficult to prevent motion blur handheld.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:08 PM   #8

I use the EFS 60mm. Very sharp and a great lens. However, you have to get up close to subjects. Live/moving things are skittish. If you what to do flying insects etc, you'll need a longer macro. 180mm is probably a good choice. I don't have one that length but I am considering getting one.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:37 PM   #9

While we are on the subject, what is it that makes a dedicatedmacro lens better than a regular lens that has macro capability??

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:14 AM   #10

Dedicated macro lenses are usually 1:1. Non dedicated lenses with macroare usually .5 or .25. The focus close but don't give the 1:1 ratio.

As I understand it.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote