Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2005, 3:59 PM   #1

I'm a noob, please don't flame me, but am I not supposed to put a UV filter on with a circular polarizer?

Here's a test shot from my Rebel XT, using Sigma's 18-125 lens:

You can see the filter when zoomed all the way out. I didn't notice this when using a simple 50mm lens. And it isn't noticable once you zoom in a little.

Is it because I had two filters on? :?

I really love the Sigma lens. I used it earlier today at my son's soccer game and got some great shots (well, great for a dad!):

ccfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:33 PM   #2

I'm an Amatuer myself, just grabbed a Canon Digital Rebel after using the old Fuji s602z, great P&S camera.

1. I'm not too sure about using BOTH a UN filter and a Polorizing filter. I know many people who use one or the other, since the are for different types of scenes.

2. I also know people who hate stacking much in front of the real glass claiming quality loss. I use a UN filter on my Rebel, and have test shot with and without it and compaired crops. No difference.

3. If everything looks good, then everything's fine. The dark patches on the corners is called Vignetting, and is typical of zoom lens when used at wide angle with any attachments. It's a common thing, don't concern yourself too much over it. If it's a problem take a few steps back, zoom in more towards the subject, and then shot. =o)

Nice to meet you! My daughter is 2 1/2 months old!

Tim Miller
-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

yup, thats vignetting... next time just unscrew the uv first if you are going to use the wide angle part of your lens..

vignetting also happens when using a superwide angle lens (for example a 10-22) with just 1 filter.. therefore companies are starting to offer thing mount filters that are thinner than normal to prevent this from happening..

enjoy. dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:49 AM   #4

Ive used a polarizer with both my kit lens (18-55) and the 100-300 zoom with my canon rebel. Never had these problems. I never remove the UV lenses except to very occasionally clean the inside glass. Heres a shot I took only today with the 100-300 lens with both the UV and polarizer on it, it looks fine to me.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:51 AM   #5

Looking at the shot again it appears that you have had the lens at it's widest, did you use a lens hood? that may be what the dark edges are.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Ive used a polarizer with both my kit lens (18-55) and the 100-300 zoom with my canon rebel. Never had these problems. I never remove the UV lenses except to very occasionally clean the inside glass. Heres a shot I took only today with the 100-300 lens with both the UV and polarizer on it, it looks fine to me.
Without knowing the exact setup both of you are using it is difficult to make a comparison. Either ccfoo isn't using thin enough filters, or he isn't using a petal style lens hood ... or he is using a petal style hood but it is installed in the wrong orientation.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote