Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:46 PM   #11

I'd suggest taking it to a Canon Authorised Service Centre. Show them and ask them to clean and calibrate it.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I've been told that most camera leave the factory and aren't calibrated so it might be a good time to get it cleaned and calibrated.

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:51 PM   #12

Hi Carl,

Just wondering (calibration aside), but why would you send a camera into Canon to have the sensor cleaned?

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 3:54 PM   #13

Ok, I brought it back to B&H and they said they have seen that before and that the "camera" was defective, and they gave me a new one. I say camera, b/c they wouldn't confirm that it was the sensor. FYI, the guy at B&H returns and exchanges tried to rip me off. First he new my CF card was in the camera and he packed it up and was ready to take it, after removing the battery. He also just swapped the paperwork, so that I retained my original paperwork, and he took my cables in addition to the cables that came with the new camera, leaving me with none, until I almost went Boriqua on his bottom. Then he gave me that coy look, like, "Oh well, you caught me". But he swapped the cameras no problem.

BTW, I did do the sensor cleaning (that would make it two times in total) and those spots didn't move.And Imost certainly didn't blow into it withmy mouth, I was tempted to use my dust-off but was worried thatit might damage the sensor. I think in the future there is going to be something (I know Olympus has some sensor shaking thingee) to reduce the dust that gets into the camera, b/c now I don't want to change lenses.And I checked out the link, and it seems that it might have been dust. I wonder how many cameras get sent back toCanon? B&Hsaid that it was defective.But thank you all for the suggestions on the sensor cleaning, I will be well armed when dust floats my way!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:40 PM   #14

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
until I almost went Boriqua on his bottom
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You could probably make good money returning things for people!

Glad you got your exchange. I would have thought that this would have been seamless with a large outfit like B&H ... but I guess it's true that the only complaints I have heard about them were related to customer service.

You mention not using Dust-Off ... which is good. There have been many posts warning against using compressed air or propellants to clean sensors.

How did you like the thread from the POTN forum?

Bob
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:49 AM   #15

That guy's sensor is really messed up! I still don't know what was on my sensor. I always figured that dust would look the same way as it does when you print a picture from a negative. I think Canon should put a picture of what dust spots look like in their troubleshooting guide, so people like me would know. A picture could be worth a thousand un-returned cameras! Thanks for the link.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:41 AM   #16

I know what you mean. With my condenser enlarger if there is a spec of dust on a negative it shows up crisp and clear on the print. It may be because the actual sensor surface is behind several other "elements" (IR filter, etc.) that it ends up looking fuzzy.

Maybe if I used a glass negative carrier I would have seen something similar doing wet-chemistry prints.

Edit:

See this page for a good sketch of the construction of a CMOS sensor:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorcleaning/

The article agrees with what I said about the dust looking fuzzy because it is on the surface of the IR filter that isa distance in front of the sensor.

Bob

Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:41 AM   #17

BobA wrote:
Quote:
Hi Carl,

Just wondering (calibration aside), but why would you send a camera into Canon to have the sensor cleaned?

Bob

At this point in time and as it's under warranty I'm loathed to try cleaning it! And to be truthful, until I have spare cash, I'd rather not do it without being shown how to and if that meant paying someone to be trained rather than shown, then I'd do that, until then I'll gladly part with hard earned cash to keep my camera in A1 condition!

Having read many posts on here about focusing and calibration I really wanted my 20D calibrating but also asked to have it cleaned - it wasn't particularly dirty either! And I had my lenses checked but they didn't need anything doing. On a side to this, "L" lens servcing comes in at about £125+VAT per lens.

It turns out my camera was way out of focusing, granted I have to take the guy in the shops word for it. HOWEVER! Whilst I was there another customer collected his camera, don't know which model but he was spitting fire about focusing. Guess what! His camera was also out, he'd got back to using a film camera he was that frustrated.

As for "sending", I took it to an authorised service centre. The closest one to Manchester on Canons web site is Stoke on Trent. So for the cost of £25 of fuel I believe it was well worth it.

Hope this helps,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:16 AM   #18

I think the original poster needs to change the title of this thread since it was almost immediately shown to be incorrect. It is also sad to see other non-issues such as B&H's service, and focus calibration being dragged into such an obviously flawed argument. Having an "attitude" doesn't work if one is ill informed.
HiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:11 AM   #19

Thanks Carl,

I can clearly see your reasoning, and if I had any doubts about my 20D's ability to focus I would do the same thing as you.

It sure would be nice if Canon had a small video on the web showing how to clean a sensor ...

Bob
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:20 AM   #20

HiltonP wrote:
Quote:
I think the original poster needs to change the title of this thread since it was almost immediately shown to be incorrect. It is also sad to see other non-issues such as B&H's service, and focus calibration being dragged into such an obviously flawed argument. Having an "attitude" doesn't work if one is ill informed.
True that the title of the thread is wrong, but I see no issue withNancy's post regarding her experience at B&H. Seems to me that she is just stating that she received less than adequate customer service at the return counter.

Bob