Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1

(subject should be said with a Brooklyn accent and a lot of 'tude!)

I was very psyched b/c today was the first day shooting in the studio with my 20D. I have some old strobes, so in the past the white balance was always off, even with film, the colors were off. But with my 20D I was able to get perfect color balance. So I put a grey card on a music stand, got my white balance, and started shooting. I did the raw + jpeg, so my card ran out quickly (I was shooting my nieces who were running around like gibbons). I only have one card, so while they changed outfits I downloaded all of the images to my computer. I started looking at the images, and every single one of them on the bottom right of the photo has an opaque grey circle, with a lighter one to the left. It looks like it is burned into the sensor.My first thought was that maybe the flash fired directly into the lens, but sure enough those circles are on my grey card pictures, and I am going to check my first shots. It is only visible where the background is light (and I was shooting with a light yellow seamless).

I am so upset right now. I am going to b&h tomorrow. Has anyone else had this problem? Being that it is on every photo, I am assuming some sort of sensor burn, but if it is a problem that I can rectify, please let me know. I know it is late now, so if I don't hear back from anyone, I will just head to B&H tomorrow.

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2005, 1:48 AM   #2

Yup, as I thought. The darker circle is visible on my pics from the first day of shooting, but it is very faint. It is there, although I would have never seen it had it not gotten worse. In a way I feel better, b/c my camera was defective, and it wasn't something that I did, still I have to return it, which is a pain in my culo!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 5:39 AM   #3
NHL

... It sounds like you have just collected some dusts on the sensor
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 8:30 AM   #4

While it doesn't sound like it, I thought I'd ask.
Does it happen with more than one lens? Maybe you got a fingerprint on the inside lens element?

Just thinking creatively.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5

I only have one lens, never took the lens off since I bought the camera. Here is a pic, I cropped it a bit, so you can see it, for yourselves.I was changing the white balance (it is a white sheet ofphoto paper), so in this shot it looks blue.There are actually three circles:
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:21 AM   #6

Just for fun, I hit auto fix in acdsee, and this is what I got (I see 4 distinct circles and hints of some others):
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Nancy,

As I understand these things, it's fairly unlikely to be sensor damage unless it came that way straight from the factory; NHL has the most likely explanation - you've got dust on your sensor.

One way to test this is to put the camera on a rest or tripod and take some photos of grey card using the same exposure but with different apertures. If the spots get bigger and more noticable as you stop down then I think it's a dust problem. If the spots stay the same size then I think that suggests sensor damage.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8

so those spots above look like dust to you? I have had them since I had the camera. I did what you said, and the spots are there at all apertures, but when I get down to 5.6, you see less of that halo around the center of the spot. I tried cleaning the sensor, and it is still there, and nothing has moved.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:23 AM   #9

Hi Nancy,

These look exactly like all other posts I've seen of dust. Many cameras come with the sensor a bit dirty right out of the box ... and some consider this to be about the same as taking a new car home and finding a candy wrapper on the floor (i.e., no big deal, just have to clean it).

There are a lot of good posts on various forums regarding sensor cleaning. Whatever you do, don't blow onto the sensor with your mouth, you will make a big mess. Often you can get away with a Giottos blower ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...545&is=REG ), but if that doesn't work you need to use something like the Copperhill method.

By the way, to help avoid dust, the recommendation is to change lenses with the camera off and pointed down. You'll still get dust on the sensor, just less.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:32 AM   #10

Hi Nancy,

Thought you'd have fun reading the following thread on the POTN forum :G:

http://www.photography-on-the.net/fo...ad.php?t=62179

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote