Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:01 PM   #1

Hi. I just placed an order for a Canon 300d, but I've really had no experience with this aspect of digital cameras, and I'm completely clueless about what brand/size/type of CF card to get.

I'm thinking probably a 512mb will be fine, and I'd like it to be pretty fast, but it doesn't have to be like THE fastest thing they make. (I won't know the difference anyway. :-))

Any suggestions?

One person suggested SanDisk Ultra II....is it any faster than the plain ones?

Thanks in advance!
MistyR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:02 PM   #2

Forgot to mention.....also looking for as inexpensive a card as possible, but still good quality.

(I'm broke from buying the camera .)
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:04 PM   #3

What do you consider expensive? For some that would be "over $30" for others that would be "over $100"

The SanDisk Ultra II is a very good card, but not cheap (as CF cards go.) One of the fastest out there. The "plain" SanDisk cards are very slow. Shockingly slow.

My suggestion is to go to this web page:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
and pick the camera you want from that pull down. See what fits your price range that is "Fast enough" (of course, that is hard to tell without actually using it.)

His tests are some of the best, done in controlled conditions so they should be very accurate.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

Misty

I also shot with the Canon 300D (DRebel) and have a Sandisk Ultra II 512 mb and a Kingston Pro 2Gb cards. I have noticed that the Kingston is much faster than the Sandisk.

Depending on the money that you want to spend, both of thesecards will be good, along with Lexar. If you can afford their faster Pro cards, the better the camera will like it. Also try and get the largest card that you can afford. I would recomend at least a 1 Gb card, as I can fill my 512mb card really quick.

For me, the Kingston 2Gb was the most ecconomical of the Pro 2Gb cards. It runs great with my camera, was a good price, has a lifetime warrenty on it, and is made by a manufacture that I know of.

Kingston, Sandisk and Lexar are all reputial companies and make good products. For me, the Kingston was the best deal.

Here is a link to the card and where I bought it (Kingston 2Gb Pro):

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82239

Sandisk Ultra II:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80355

Hope this helps

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:16 PM   #5

MistyR75 wrote:
Quote:
Hi. I just placed an order for a Canon 300d, but I've really had no experience with this aspect of digital cameras, and I'm completely clueless about what brand/size/type of CF card to get.

I'm thinking probably a 512mb will be fine, and I'd like it to be pretty fast, but it doesn't have to be like THE fastest thing they make. (I won't know the difference anyway. :-))

Any suggestions?

One person suggested SanDisk Ultra II....is it any faster than the plain ones?

Thanks in advance!

Save yourself some money...your 300D won't be able to take advantage of the highest speed compactflash cards, cuz the 300D itself is slow in writing. Check out this site...it has benchmarks for your 300D: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

If I were you, I'd just get something there in the middle. It'll probably cost 50% less thanthe fastest card, and will only be about 10% to 15% slower...which you won't even notice. The only advantage you would have in getting the fastest CF card is if you have a USB 2.0 card reader on your PC to dump the pictures to. I don't see any significant advantage when the card itself is in the 300D.

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6

I use Sandisk Ultra II and I've had no problems. I've also found it to be less expensive than Lexar, which is also a good brand. Try www.pricegrabber.com for price shopping. 512mb is the smallest I would look at if I were you. If you take a trip and don't have a laptop you may wish you had a larger card. You can always buy another later.
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7

I would suggest a 1 mb card. I started out with a 512 and got a little nervous on a vacation - I think you get about 150 shots on a 512 with the 300D. I have used both Sandisk Ultra II and Lexar 80x cards and have been happy with both. I also like the fact both have a lifetime warranty. A 1gb card from either vendor can be had for $90-$100 USD.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:24 AM   #8

Hi,

I use the Rosewill 512mb cards in my Canon. It is in your price range and It has never failed me in writing speed. I got mine from www.newegg.com (about $32.00). Have fun and enjoy the camera.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:48 AM   #9

Just a thought; I have two 1gig SanDisk card myself and I love the capacity. I guess they are not Ultra II but I am not sure.

Anyway, a friend of mine is a professional photographer (check him out at http://www.michaelswitzerdesignworks.com )and he said he does not use the 1 gig cards because he had one go bad on him and he lost a whole gig worth of pictures. I guess his thinking is even if he has to change cards more often if one goes bad he will not lose as many pictures.

I don't know how often that happens and it is too late for me but it is something to think about.

I like my 1 gig cards.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the info, guys. I decided to go with a 1gb Kingston card. It was at the bottom of the top ten list, and the price was the best I could find on a decent 1gb.

However, after reading the last post, i'll just be a little nervous that it'll mess up and lose everything, but, I guess that's a chance I'll have to take.

Again, thanks for your help. Now I know where to come when I get my rebelin and have no cluehow to work it.