Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1

Hey I'm shooting a wedding for my sister in law, she cooldn't afford a wedding photographer. So I told her that I'd do it. It is going to be outside in a shaded area.

Where is a good (Free) site on the net offering suggestion on photographing weddings. Thanks.
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:54 AM   #2

My stance on wedding photography is fairly well known around here. I generally tell people "do not do it" and "run away, as fast as you can". They are very hard to photograph well. And you can ruin your friendship and their wedding with bad pictures.

In your case you've already agreed to do it. I'd still suggest you don't do it, but its a little late for that.

Here is an example of what is expected of you. Look at this list of shots:

http://my.bridestuff.com/checklist/photo_checklist.asp

Read this wedding photography FAQ:

http://www.koskiphotography.com/amateur.html

This is written by a person who does it for a living and is very good.

Read this thread, where I wrote a lot about wedding photography:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=wedding
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...hlight=wedding

And follow the links to the posts that they link to. It will give you an idea of what you're getting into.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:15 PM   #3
djb

I tend to agree with Eric. I have done 2 weddings. One I was the primary photographer and the other I was a back-up to the pro. In both cases i didn't have to make a wedding album. just had to take the pics and give them the processed slides and they made their own albums. It is really nerve racking!!!! Never know when you might have a camera malfunction or something else go wrong. I don't do weddings any more. I just go to them and take pics for my own enjoyment and if the bride and groom or family want some copies, i make them for them. As long as they don't expect much from you you'll be fine. Else, a big headache!!! That's all only my opinion.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:57 PM   #4

It is said the only thing worse than shooting weddings is war photography. I beg to differ theworst thing that can happen in war photography is you get blowed up a little. Weddings are much worse.

But some people really do like that type of work, just like as people like working on the bomb squad.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:51 PM   #5
djb

Matthew, here is a link to the wedding photography forum at Fred Miranda. It may have some info you might need or want to know about.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/48

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:13 AM   #6

First what equipmet do you have/or can rent? You need the best equipment you can have on you L series glass that is F2.8 and maybe F4. L series lenses may be over rated but its better to have overkill than be off gaurd.

Second cover your bases:
You must be at the rehersal. know what your setting will have to be for the big day. make sure to account for ETTL metering. Plus anything you need to change for a better shot if reasonable they need to change such as slower timing for people marching in/special seatings. Where people stand (to a degree). How they do certian things, vows, lighing unity candle, any religoius things. If they want a shot of it they have to work with you so you can get the shot for them. if they dont want to change it for petty reasons and it true say you cant get that shot for them and then they will change it.

Third all photos that can be taken before the wedding must be. Also schedual all the pictures for the pre wedding stuff with extra time to spare. This is what I did pre wedding: Groom with his family and grooms men. The Bride with her family and brides maids. Decorations, flower stuff, the rings, and all the small stuff people forget afterwards.
IMPORANT: DO NOT LET THE BRIDE OR BRIDES MAIDS MAKE YOU WAIT, HAVE A SET TIME FOR THE PICTURES AND IF THEY MISS IT THEY LOSE OUT ON ALL PICTURES. I had 25 mintues to do all bride related pictures it sucked because it was too stressful they had 3 hours to be ready for the pictures and like women they wasted it away talking and with drama and becuase of it they lost out.

Fourth be prepared for everything, lots of memory, lots of batreries, make sure you have a real flash(580EX/550EX and know the ETTL metering and its flaws)

There is more but im tired and I post more later.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:33 AM   #7

As far as equipment. I have:
Camera's:
  • EOS 20D this will be my main camera. [/*]
    • The 20D have verticle grip and twoBP-511
    [/*]
  • Eos 1V HS (as back up)[/*]
  • Elan 7e [/*]
  • Elan (the original)
[/*]
Flashes:
  • 550 EX[/*]
  • 420EX[/*]
  • Strobo Frame Pro-T Bracket
[/*]
Lenes:
  • 28-135mm 4.5-5.6 IS USM (this is me bread and butter lens) [/*]
    • This will be the lens i'm planning on using during the ceremony b/c it's and outside wedding. (lots of light)[/*]
    • I have 2 of these
    [/*]
  • 50 mm F/1.8[/*]
    • This lens I plan to use during the dance and at night (low Light)
    [/*]
  • 300mm F/4 L IS USM[/*]
  • 20 mm f/2.8 USM
[/*]
Memory:
  • Lexar 2GB (80X) with WA[/*]
  • Kingston 1024 MB [/*]
  • San Disk 64 MB (this is for my old Digital)
[/*]
Image Storage
  • Dell Laptop[/*]
  • Apacer Disc Steno CP-200 portable[/*]
  • CD-R's for the above
[/*]

Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #8

Yeah but I've done wedding before this is my first time doing one digitally and this is my first outdoor wedding. The other wedding I've done were with film and inside. I 'm looking for tips specificlly for outside.

eric s wrote:
Quote:
My stance on wedding photography is fairly well known around here. I generally tell people "do not do it" and "run away, as fast as you can". They are very hard to photograph well. And you can ruin your friendship and their wedding with bad pictures.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:39 PM   #9

Ahhh... ok, you've done them before and have some idea of what you're getting into. That is what we like to hear.

It might be an outdoor wedding, but you should probably pack one faster zoom just in case (it could be cloudy!) I'd suggest the 70-200 f2.8 IS... rent it, it shouldn't be that much. Some times that extra shutter speed saves the day. You don't always have the time to switch lenses to the 300mm f4 (nice lens, though.)

I agree with everything VictorEM83 said and more. Talk to whoever is performing the ceremony and find out what you can and can't do (example, flash use when?)... where you can and can't be.

If you can, go to the dinner and interview the bride and groom and find out who you have to get pictures of. Make a list so you don't forget.

You don't list a tripod. You will probably want one for the set shots. Those are the ones they are more likely to make into larger prints (11x14) so you'll want to make them as sharp as possible.

Learn how to get to the place ahead of time. And scout out where you'll do your set shots.

Never take a break. You never know when, in a instant, the groom will be kneeling to help a his niece with a flower (or some other unscripted amazingly cute moment that wedding albums beg for.) Bring some simple food/candy to chew on to help keep you going.

The FM forum on weddings is very good, but has (at least for me) switched to requiring you sign up to view it. As I recall, its worth it. But it's been awhile since I've looked there.

Hope that helps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:17 PM   #10

Pack your indoor kit in case of rain.

Also the time of day of the wedding can be a killer, a nice sunny mid-day wedding will be harsh for the images. You'll be looking for some shade to do the posed shots.

One of the worstweddings for lighting I did was mid afternoon on a shore front gazebo thing. Without strobes everything either went to silhouette or had blown out backgrounds. And the off-shore "breeze" made sure nothing was stationary.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote