Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

Hi-
I'm currently experiencing a major problem with my XT...

I have a 75-300 IS USM Canon lens. The first week I had the XT, I shot with the crappy kit lens and it was fine. When I decided to go out shooting with my 300mm lens, it was alright for about 100 shots and then I got the dreaded 'err 99'!!!! Everything froze up, it gave that half hearted hollow sounding shutter, and nothing would record to the card. I turned it on and then off, and it was okay for another 20 shots or so, then the same thing happened. It happens on and off, only with the 75-300mm lens. Pretty annoying!

Well, last week I shelled out $600 to get the EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens. It worked for again, about 75 shots and then it DIED. I am telling you, the camera will not work! The shutter will not depress, the aperture reads "00" (?!?!?!) and I get the 'err 01' (Which means lens communication error, clean the contacts, but both the camera and the lens are literally brand new!)
It doesn't happen on and off with the 17-85 lens, it's completely dead to it and non-functioning.

Also, when the 17-85mm is attached, anything I do the camera, wheater it's turned on or off, it makes an electronic clicking noise. Not a focusing noise, but this strange clicking and churning (not the IS either) If I open the CF door (while off) it makes the noise, if I take the battery out or put a new one in it makes the noise. VERY strange since none of the other lenses do that. If I weren't so mad at all of the money I've speant, it would actually be slightly funny that the camera is having such a hard time being 'compatible' with Canon lenses...

As to be expected, I'm extremely upset. I've tried reformating both of my 1GB sandisk cards, trying two different batteries, changing lenses back and then forth, but nothing works! The ONLY lens that will work with the camera now is the crappy kit lens which I don't want anyways!

Has anyone else out there experienced such a problem? I know there were firmware upgrades for the 20d but its way to soon to have a firmware upgrade for the XT. I mailed it off to Canon in NJ yesterday, I guess I'm just going to have to wait a few weeks and see if it's fixable. Aside from this, I was really loving the camera and the quality, but man... Ugh, this is so annoying.

-Laura
roxystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:28 AM   #2

I had a rebel xt with a bad pixel. I put my 28-135 lens on it and it would give error 99 and would not record to CF card. Any other lens worked. I returned the camera because of the bad pixel. I got my second XT body and all lenses worked except...... my 28-135 IS. This body let it take pictures unless I used the flash and then error 99 only with 28-135 Lens. Thisis not the first I have heard of this problem. I sold my 28-135 and bought the Tamron 28-75 di. Works great now. Good luck. You can write canon, I did with no reponse. Maybe you can pray for a firmware update. Return your 17-85 and get the tamron. Its a sharper lens.
epocenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

Thank you for responding... it seems as though it doesn't like lenses with IS... I have no idea why, but maybe it's some sort of electrical problem. It kinda p*sses me off that Canon advertises these compatible lenses that are 'designed to work together' but you just hear about so many problems that users have trying to do just that.
I hope they can fix it... QUICK!

-Laura
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would also venture a look at the canon website from time to time to see if they are offering firmware upgrades.. these can be introduced on a fairly frequent basis whena camera is just released as they and others like yourself continue to find bugs with the camera..

it is the unfortunate consequence of getting a digi-slr when it is first released on the market.. =(
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5

I went through all that with all my canon lenses. The kit lens was the most reliable lens. I also use a 17-40L, 28-135 IS, and the tamron 28-75 Di.

I suggest you not let the warranty expire. My D-Reb is currently at Canon Service center for repair. No parts problems indicated but Canon wants $200 to fix it. $180 + tax and shipping = $200. More later as this develops.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:52 PM   #6

Ouch. I just bought it, so warranty is still good, but it's still a pain in the butt... I can't imagine how mad you must be. You spend $1000 on a product and expect it to be reliable and when it fritzes out because of workmanship (by no cause of your use) you are expected to pay the cost! Amazing. :roll: Good luck with your Rebel.

-Laura
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:40 AM   #7

I bet other people have, I worked at Best Buy for 3 years and there was demo products or returned products of every major brand and quality that for some reason was crap. There is this thing called a bad copy, it happens. What make 1 out of every so many cars that are ultra reliable be a lemon? No one really knows but it happens with anything/everything. I had a PC from Dell that was perfect about 7 years ago and my grandma order the exact same pc as me at the same time: identical to the the dotted i's and crossed t's. Same software, same drivers, same DSL connection. Execpt hers always had problems with software crashing, driver conflicts, currpted files, and on and on but mine didnt but they were the same pc.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:35 AM   #8
TC3

I am real dissapointed in Canon QC with the 350D. I am returning my 2nd one which suffers from back focus just like the first one i got. I will not be trying another one but will instead see what the Nikon D50 is like. It has not got the feature set of the Canon which is a shame as that is very well featured.

I know i just got a couple of bad ones from a batch the shop got and it does not mean there are no good ones out there

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:20 PM   #9

Hi,

I have a 350D, a 10-22mm, a 17-85mm IS and a 75-300mm IS DO. They all work perfectly so far!

I have had a problem with a Magicstor CF card which worked fine in a 300D but doesn't work in the 350D.

I sounds more like a prob withyour 350D thanyour lenses. Bad luck :sad:
Mike162 is offline   Reply With Quote