Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:14 AM   #21

Just my 2 cents worth ... I have used a couple of clip-on diffusers like the Stofen and they work well. You may want to try some cheaper alternatives first. The web has various sites suggesting cutting the bottoms from rubbing alcohol bottles, taping plastic bags or packaging material to the strobe, etc.I carry a white card andrubber bandsin my bag and justattach the card to the back of the strobe. When aimed straight up, the strobe produces bounce off the ceiling while a part of the flash bounces off the card and towards the subject. The results are often very nice - not as nice as with multiple strobes - but quite acceptable. P.S.I have alwaysused apotato masher strobe or put a small strobe on abracket to move the flash off the lens axis. You get less (or no) red eye and the facial effects are less harsh.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:06 AM   #22
NHL

ADSchiller wrote:
Quote:
... I carry a white card and rubber bands in my bag and just attach the card to the back of the strobe. When aimed straight up, the strobe produces bounce off the ceiling while a part of the flash bounces off the card and towards the subject. The results are often very nice - not as nice as with multiple strobes - but quite acceptable...
Excellent point!

On the 550EX (and the EF-500DG Super) flash, the diffuser can be pulled-out but not folded over the flash - This built-in feature can act as a 'catchlight' as described as well
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote