Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:05 AM   #1

Normally I try to avoid using flash when taking pictures, but saying that I have just put in an order for a Sigma EF-500 DG ST (the "Supers" little bro). I guess it's better to have it and not use it then want it and not blaa, blaa, blaa.....

Normally what puts me off using flash is the very obvious flash photos it produces when pointed directly at the subject. Very bright subject and very dark background. Either that or it's subjects with washed out, over-exposed faces and perfect sillohettes etched onto the wall behind them. You know what I mean, the "Rabbit in headlights" look!

Do you have any advice on how to take more natural looking flash shots?

I have seen some that look very well done where the flash has been "bounced". Does that mean the flash has just been pointed at the ceiling or is there more to it then that? And what do you do when there isn't a ceiling to bounce the flash? When exactly do you use diffusers on a flash camera?

I've heard the saying that to get really great flash shots you have to "take the flash off the camera". But i'm not nearly rich enough to invest in more expensive/ multiple flash units to improve a little used side of my type of photography. So any advice (or internet links!) on how to get the best out of a simple external flash would be greatly appreciated!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:28 AM   #2
NHL

FYI - http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm :idea:

... and How: http://www.lumiquest.com/how.htm

-> you can also use the wireless feature built-into the flash(es) and have them fired at different ratio - You can afford it since you're already saving 1/2 the price of similar featured 550/580EX's :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks NHL, thats just the kind of info i'm looking for.

When you say you can use the wireless feature for off-camera flash..... Can two Sigma DG ST's be used in this way or must you have a Sigma Super along with the DG ST before you can get it to work like that!?

My level of understanding of flash is pretty poor at the moment!
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:59 PM   #4
NHL

Only the DG Super sorry
... the DG ST has no wireless support
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:09 PM   #5

I use a Sunpak Super 383 flash ($60 at B&H).

To soften it's effect, I use it in manual mode and use only 1/16th or 1/8th power, that serves to just brighten up the subject a little.

I also use a Sto-fen diffuser, which is a little plastic opaque attachment that serves to soften the flash.

The picture below was taken with flash, but you'd never know it:
Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:19 AM   #6

I've heard somewhere (and I agree with it) that the best photos taken by flash are the ones where you can't tell a flash has been used at all.

NHL..... just one more pestering question! If I were to purchase a Sigma Super at some later stage would it be possible to use the Super as an off-camera flash and fire it using the DG ST mounted on-camera?! And if that is possible, would it also be possible to get the off-camera Super to flash without the on-camera ST also firing?

I think that question makes sense.....
:O
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:58 AM   #7
NHL

redundo wrote:
Quote:
If I were to purchase a Sigma Super at some later stage would it be possible to use the Super as an off-camera flash and fire it using the DG ST mounted on-camera?
Yes - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...01&forum_id=53

Quote:
And if that is possible, would it also be possible to get the off-camera Super to flash without the on-camera ST also firing?
You can use the DG Super as a controller only (like the Canon ST-E2) - with no flash effect from the camera mounted flash, but the problem will always be with your old DG ST: it has no intelligence to receive the wireless signal remotely!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies NHL. You must have the patience of a rock to keep answering the same questions again and again. Perhaps you should think of writing a FAQ and getting Steve to post it up in the forum somewhere!

I guess I should have paid much closer attention to the reviews, although there aren't that many flash unit reviews around ( <--- Thats just me making excuses!).
So perhaps I should have sprung an extra few Euro from the bank account before making my purchase? Oh well, spilt milk and all that. It doesn't really make a difference anyway, like I said, flash isn't my forte. Although I do normaly like to consider future use when making any purchases.

Just as a matter of interest. Using the Photoeye detector on a Sigma Super, would it be possible to fire it using only a weak burst from an on-camera DG ST? Like using the Lumiquest mentioned earlier for 20% fill-flash, or manually setting the DG ST to a direct but low intensity flash?!

I'll stop trying to push spilt milk back into the glass now........

:lol:
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:40 PM   #9
NHL

redundo wrote:
Quote:
Just as a matter of interest. Using the Photoeye detector on a Sigma Super, would it be possible to fire it using only a weak burst from an on-camera DG ST? Like using the Lumiquest mentioned earlier for 20% fill-flash, or manually setting the DG ST to a direct but low intensity flash?
Yes - even a tiny pocket flash would work!

If you don't use the camera built-in flash (which preflash) you can trigger your DG ST with one of this: http://www.adorama.com/FASE.html
-> and both your Sigma's would be remote for more freedom in placememt :idea:
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:21 PM   #10

Three words:

"Flash Exposure Compensation" Taste has some influence but I shoot outdoor fill flash for a living and I find that I get the most natural looking shots to my eye with minus 1/3 ambient expsure and minus 1 1/3 flash exposure combined. This is not written in stone since backgrounds and ambient light will vary, so you may have to make small adjustments when you need to. Indoors is another story alltogether. In some indoor situations you may actually have to increase flash output.

The above relates to shooting witha Canon 20D and 580EX speedlite.

tony
tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote