Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1

They said they can't see them releasing any new updates and when I asked about using the Russian Hack they didn't answer so I asked them for the code to do updates myself, they refused.

I'm not keen on Canon anymore, camera's are good, aftersales are not. Certainly not in this case anyway. Makes me wonder why they have so many loyal customers. :evil:

I feel let down. I suppose as long as they get their sales they don't care. IMHO.:?

Oh Well.:?

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:42 PM   #2

you didn't honestly think that they were going to give propriatary information did you?:blah:

thats not aftersales support:lol:

i guess you got one heck of a sense of humor:G
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 2:10 PM   #3
Administrator

Canon just released a firmware update for the Digital Rebel, it's called the Digital Rebel XT ... But seriously, Canon has been very good about releasing firmware updates for all of their cameras, especially SLRs -- if there is something that needs fixing they will fix it. But don't expect them to add features that weren't integral to the original design.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 4:20 PM   #4

Yesit's about after sales service, we know the features are there but it wouldn't be financially benificial for them to let us have them free so they go and release the XT.

They're not the only company who do it but it just shows the customer is the last thing on their mind once they've made the sale. IMHO:blah:

Of course I didn't expect them to give me the info but they could have OK'd the Russian Hack considering it's already out and it's not going to make a bit of difference to XT sales. After all it's an 8 MP Camera and the Rebel will soon disappear, again IMHO.:blah:

It's just the lack of response you get, they'll all the same, it's just business after all and we're the mugs that keep em in it.:-)

And even more sadly I must admit I want the 1D MKII and the buggers are gonna get me dosh again. :evil:

Oh Well.!!!!!

I suppose if Canon don't get it some bugger else will. (Is bugger too strong or is it OK.?)

Cheers

Mart.

Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i can't believe you are upset that they are not oking or giving you information on an illegal hack to their firmware.. that is like asking microsoft to give you a link to a free downloadable hacked version of windows, office etc..

canon does a great job of releasing firmware updates for the slrs.. in the little time the 20d has been out it has had several firmware updates.. for example they just recently released firmware versin 2.0 for the 20d that allows support for a wireless transmitter.. thatsa pretty darn good free update if you ask me..

so i guess it just upset me a bit that you are faulting the company for protecting their product.. i mean if you were selling a product, would you condone illegal upgrades to it that could potentiallycut into sales of your other products. i mean they disabled features to seperate it from the 10d when it was released. so if you want those features you had to go for the higher end model. that is simply good business practice, not a failure to provide after-sales support.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:33 AM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i can't believe you are upset that they are not oking or giving you information on an illegal hack to their firmware.. that is like asking microsoft to give you a link to a free downloadable hacked version of windows, office etc..

canon does a great job of releasing firmware updates for the slrs.. in the little time the 20d has been out it has had several firmware updates.. for example they just recently released firmware versin 2.0 for the 20d that allows support for a wireless transmitter.. thatsa pretty darn good free update if you ask me..

so i guess it just upset me a bit that you are faulting the company for protecting their product.. i mean if you were selling a product, would you condone illegal upgrades to it that could potentiallycut into sales of your other products. i mean they disabled features to seperate it from the 10d when it was released. so if you want those features you had to go for the higher end model. that is simply good business practice, not a failure to provide after-sales support.

You're the ideal consumer, not a bad word to be said against a supplier.

They never released a new 300D update, certainly not when I bought mine and it's nothing like a Microsoft hack, that's breaking a license code this is just releasing features that already exist. It's only just been one year since I bought my 300D and already it's days are numbered. I know all companies are the same but it doesn't mean I have to agree or be happy about it. I'm not so easily pleased as you are. I want some support for me money and what do we get a new release that's gonna cost more money not an upgrade that should be free. IMHO

I like Canon cameras and I like many others but they all just keep pumping us with new gear just to get our money and don't care once they've got it. IMHO

:|:evil::blah:

Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7

:|:blah:100% with mf_blues , this big company's only money for the packet, and consumer waitting for fixes and patches that never come! like Microsoft, Digital Image 9, you can not find any update , and much more!
AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:48 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i just totally disagree.. they offer plenty of firmware updates.. just cuz they aren't condoning an illegal hack, or offering up upgrades to unlock these features are not reasons to fault the company..

and no " i am not the ideal consumer with nothing to fault of the supplier" .. i will fault them if reason.. but in this particular instance.. i do not see it as a fault.. they are just simply defining boundaries between their amateur and enthusiast lines of cameras..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:26 AM   #9

Why should they have to unlock those features? Maybe they had planned on it, but instead came out with the XT and no longer had the resources to do it. I dont see how this is aftersales support, there is nothing wrong with the Rebel. It does have it's shortcomings, but it was designed that way, it wasn't designed as a top of line camera and shouldn't have top of the line features. I'm not saying that the extra features built into the hardware are top of the line, I tried the Russian hack, and it didn't do much for me, I rarely if ever used those features. Eventually I outgrew the Digital Rebel and upgraded to the 20D. If you're frustrated and upset over special features of the camera, then what kind of photographer are you?
The "my camera can do this this and this, and has these features that I don't use" attitude isn't going to make a photograph.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:07 PM   #10

First off, I think Steve needs to add more smilies since the original poster has used just about every one of them up.

Second, you can't and shouldn't expect to get top of the line features from pro-sumer cameras & software (ie - 300D, MS Digital Image 9). There is a reason for the 300D, it is lesser expensive, yet gives people SLR features. If you wanted a higher end camera, you probably should not have gone with the 300D.

Third, you say your 300D's "days are numbered." Why? Doesn't it still take pictures?

Fourth, you say "but they could have OK'd the Russian Hack." You want a company to OK a hack on their product and you still expect them to honor the original warranty? If you really need those extra features, just apply the hack. Why do you need Canon's OK?

Camera's are no different then any other product. You don't buy a Geo Metro and expect it to perform like a Ferrari, or expect the maker to give free upgrades to make your Geo handle like a Ferrari.

I am not trying to stir up the fire. I just don't agree with purchasing a lower end camera and expecting the maker to make the camera into something that it isn't.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote