Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:57 AM   #1

I just bought a Canon 20d and am enjoying it immensely.

However I have just noticed a significant dust spot in my viewfinder when taking a picture.

I have ruled out it being a lens, by removing the lens and the spot still being there.

I believe it is not on the sensor, because it doesn't show up on any pictures.

Is it most likely on the focusing screen?

If so what is the best way to get it out.

It is pretty annoying, but I don't want to make things worse by doing the wrong thing.

I have already tried the non tech stuff like shaking my camera upside down and blowing lightly to remove it but to no avail.

Any sound advise will be appreciated
rdjphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:18 AM   #2

It's pretty common for dust to get up there. The dust is either on the mirror or on the focusing screen. To clean the focusing screen you'd probably use something like a bent q-tip, though I don't know if q-tips are safe.

I just know, don't try and force a brush or swab that's not bent, cause you won't be able to access the whole screen.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:18 PM   #3

rdjphoto wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a Canon 20d and am enjoying it immensely.

However I have just noticed a significant dust spot in my viewfinder when taking a picture.

I have ruled out it being a lens, by removing the lens and the spot still being there.

I believe it is not on the sensor, because it doesn't show up on any pictures.

Is it most likely on the focusing screen?

If so what is the best way to get it out.

It is pretty annoying, but I don't want to make things worse by doing the wrong thing.

I have already tried the non tech stuff like shaking my camera upside down and blowing lightly to remove it but to no avail.

Any sound advise will be appreciated
I was in China a couple of weeks ago. After a few days, I noticed some dust particles that I saw in my view finder. When I got back, I took my camera, a Canon 20D, to a local camera shop. They took off the lens and took an air hose and blew air inside the camera. They put the lens back on, looked through the view finder, and the dust particles were gone. Apparently some dust had gotten on the mirror.
Mr. Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote