Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:51 AM   #1

I have been using RAW plus largest JPEG on my 20D. I have been questioning myself whether this is really necessary. I use the JPEG mainly for preview purposes on my monitor and then manipulate and print from the RAW file. A small JPEG might be just as good for this purpose and benefit from the space saving on my 1 gig card. Are there any real reasons to stick with the large JPEG?

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2

If you are doing all your work and printing based upon the RAW images then why bother saving the JPEG? You should be able to view the CR2 files in any number of software applications. IMHO the only benefit to storing both on-camera is if you want to primarily work with JPEG (eliminating the extra processing steps for CR2) and only use the CR2 images for difficult cases where exposure/color was off.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

imho NO

Raw plus small jpeg, would allow you to view images very quickly and edit the ones you wish in raw

However if you prefer to shoot jpeg then obviously the larger the better,

Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:10 AM   #4

I've been thinking pretty much the same thing.

I have been saving files at the largest CRW + JPEG combination on my 10d. I also use a 1 Gig card but can't say i've ever really run out of memory even with the large quality jpeg setting. All the same i'm going to change down and use the smallest quality embedded Jpeg and might use those for posting on the internet.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5

Even though I have a pretty fast computer, there should be some time savings as well as the space saving in going to a smaller jpeg. I also use a Flash Trax and the embedded jpeg is used rather than the RAW file and the smaller jpeg should improve that function as well...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:42 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the only time i really use the raw+jpgs, and then i use the smallest, is when i want a quick set of proofs i can post for clients.. so that saves time so i can just slap a watermark on it and not have to go through the process of saving a smaller jpg from the raw..

this small jpg should be fine for reviewing as well.. even with my 2gb card, space is an issue when shooting raw, and sometimes that little extra space saved by going with small has come in handy..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote