Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1
djb

Just started using my 20D today. right now i'm only using the large jpeg/fine setting in continuous mode and also ai servo. my iso was set to 400 and SS 1/800 sec. well i thought i was supposed to be able to continuous burst to 20 frames. the camera shows me only 9 frames and counts down and then counts back to 9 while storing. why only 9 frames?? why not 20 frames?? also, i don't think the 20D shoots at 5fps unless there is an option or function i missed. i guess i'll have to take a closer look at the manual for that one.

all in all with the few pics i took i am quite pleased with the camera and the 100-400mm performance. it sure is nice to be looking through a nice bright and clear optical viewfinder again. camera and lense combo is heavy but manageble.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:46 AM   #2

In A1 Servo mode the camera has to gain focus prior to releasing the shutter which can give you less than 5 fps. In one shot mode focusing is not executed between shots for continuous shooting.

Also, from the manual regarding the 20 frame burst:

"Varies depending on the subject, ISO speed, processing parameters, CF card, etc."

By the way, what card are you using? Using my Sandisk Ultra II I was able to fire off 40+ and 60+ continuous shots in JPEG Large/Fine (depended on lighting)at Iso 100.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:07 AM   #3
djb

Bob, thanx!!! I put the camera in one-shot mode and the burst was a lot faster. In ai servo it really slowas down, as you mentioned, due to focus. I read the manual and the 9 frames remaining indication just means there could be more than 9 remaining. i did a burst of about 20 frames in both ai servo and oneshot. i use a snadisk extreme III card (1G). it was supposedly the fastest for the 20D according to Rob Golbraith's site.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4

The viewfinder can only display 1 digit for the frames remaining, so it shows 9. I was confused at first as well. But I've gotten a 29 frame burst when I was first trying the performance of the camera.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote