Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

I have the canon xt. I have been using Picasa for a while but just purchased PS elements along w/ Scott Kelbys book.

My question-Should I still be importing my pictures directly into Picasa? Seems like its easier and quicker formost everything. If I want to cloneor do some major editing I could export for photo and pick it up in elements?
stonehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2

Anybody?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:17 PM   #3

Picassa2's main purpose seems to be that of managing your collection of photos. It does this by providing a nice, quick and easy way to search and view them on your PC.
While it does have some basic image 'touchup' abilities they are very limited when compared to the likes of Photoshop or Gimp.
There is no reason however why you can not use the two in conjunction with each other.
I am not sure why you want to 'export' the photos to use them in PS... 'importing' them into Picassa2 simply involves putting the photos onto your hard disk in a place Picassa2 knows to look for them. You can edit them in that same location using PS (or Gimp) without having to 'export' them from Picassa2. The only time I can see that you might want to export them is if you are applying effects in Picassa2 that you want made permanently to the photo, and you then want to make other changes using PS. But in reality PS is capable of doing all the effects that Picassa2 can do so you may be better to use it for all (permanent) editing.
Actually, because Picassa2 does not directly modify the images themselves (unless you export them) there is no reason why you can not use clone etc in PS then also any effects you want for viewing only using Picassa2.
My suggestion is that if you like Picassa2 for organising, searching and viewing your photos then continue to use it and just use PS to do any editing of those images... no exporting needed.
Not sure if this answers you question or not.
NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:27 PM   #4

Thanks so much for your reply! I guess I thought I needed to export so I could find the photo easier and not loose the origional. I took about 100 pics of my kids in a field of lupin but only wanted to edit about 5 of them. I will try to edit themw/o exporting. Thanks again
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:27 AM   #5

When I take a batch of pics, say at the zoo, I put themina separate folder I callZOO and create a folder within that one called Keepers. Any pictures that I decide to enhance I change the name by adding an "a" to the name and file in the Keepers folder. That way I always know when and where I took the picture but I also don't have to review 200 pictures to find the ones that I am most pleased with. Picasa2 automatically updates its database to show the enhanced pictures. You can then select them all to attach key words to.
broisman is offline   Reply With Quote