Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:01 PM   #1

Hi,I'm kind of new here... i've been browsing for the past couple months, enjoying different photos posted by you guys andI recently decided to purchase the Rebel XT( as soon as my horse sold,then i'd have some money)after doing alot of research on different DSLR's over the past few months. Anyways, yesterday was my birthday andI had a major suprise, my sister put together a bunch of friends to go in on the XT as my birthday present. SoI got it yesterday and i'm psysched.

So nowI had a couple questions for you guys because i'm new to DSLR's and fairly new to photography in general, althoughI have had an olderfilm olympus which stopped working recently. I went ahead and got the kit lens because I think it will be a good lens to start out with, i'm looking at purchasing the Canon50mm f1.8 lens, and then hopefully in the near futurethe Sigma 70-200 f2.8, and the 1.4x adapter. I've heard people talk alot about UV filters to protect your lenses from dust? Is that somethingI should purchase before I shoot to many pictures? and also i hear about fast writing speeds on memory cards, how do you tellhow fast or slow amemory card is? and does that effect the time periodin between the shots because it needs time to write the picture onto the disk before it can take another one?

and is there anything else right off that i need to get before i start shooting? what about cleaning the XT, what kind of care is involved?

okay well i'm sure i'll think of some more questions, but thats all for now,thanks for letting me ramble...

- Ariel
ATX202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:46 PM   #2

Ariel,

Well, your likely to get more opinions than mine, but here goes:

- You're lens selection sounds pretty spot on.

- I don't use a filter on my lenses for protection, and never have. I just take really good care of my lenses. Some other people use UV filters as protectors. Keep a lens cap on your lens when you're not using it.

- As for memory cards, I have a 1gb Kingston I got for $59 on sale. I was never too worried about the speed of a card, and it hasn't slowed me down using my 20D.

- For tranfering photos, make sure your PC has a usb 2.0 port (usb 1.1 ports are really slow). If it doesn't have one, you can get a card that fits into the back slot of your computer that should give you a couple. Your 20D has a USB 2.0 slot on it (small one) and included usb cable.

- Make sure you get a good case for your camera.

- Get a lens cleaning kit. Nothing fancy: a blower/brush combo, some lens cleaning paper, and lens cleaning solution. I blow the grit off my lens first (rather than grind it it). If there's still a few marks I use a lens cleaning paper (about every three months). On a really tough spot I will use a dab of cleaning solution. Canon has a good lens cleaning kit.

You should be ready to rock!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:55 PM   #3

Terry, Thanks for your reply...

I ended up getting a UV filter for my currect lens because the guy at the store highly recomended it. I got the 512mb Sandisk card, i'll probably end up getting a bigger one soon. The good carrying case is next on my list and also the cleaning kit. Thanks for the suggestion on the Canon kit, I'll look for it.

I've been playing around with the camera these past two days, I haven't gotten much shooting in because of work but this weekend I hope to have more time to play around with it. First off, I love the camera and its size. Its fast. I've been playing around just in the basic modes and sometimes P mode , though i don't know what i'm doing. I definately have alot to learn, but its fun, and I'll probably end up starting to mess around in the manual modes soon and just try and figure out what works best. Its definately a neat little camera, and I look forward to playing around with it more. I'll post pictures soon.. once my computer getsa tune up next weekI can load the software on here and then i'll post some.

One question.. the battery life seems really short, am I doing something wrong? does the LCD take up that much battery life everytime I review the pictures. I looked in the manual and itestimated 600 pictures with no flash and 400 with flash. the battery died at about 50 pictures, the flash was used in quite a few... but 50 pictures seems way to low. Also, when I bought the battery the battery was not fully charged, was it supposed to be?

I'm looking forward to more responses

- Ariel

Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:46 PM   #4

Ariel,

I would say you'd need to fully charge the battery.

I doubt it would be fully charged out of the box new.

The manual usually tends to be pretty optimistic about how many shots you should get. My Canon 20D manual says I should get 500-700 shots from one charge, but I think realistically its more like 200-300.

If you do a lot of reviewing with the LCD you will get less shots. What really eats up the battery is using the built in flash.

You should be all set with the 512mb card. If you wait a year or two the cost of a 1 gb or even a 2gb card will be the same price as what you paid for the 512.

I hope you enjoy your XT!

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:42 AM   #5

One thing that you MUST not do is use a battery until it has been charged once or twice. If you do use the battery out of the box, you basically shorten its useful life by half, or more.

Put the battery back into the charger... wait 12 hours. Remove the battery from the charger, wait 12 hours. Place the battery back into the charger, wait until it says charged.

Then put the battery back into the camera and you should see a little better life.

Also, not using the camera doesn't mean the battery isn't being discharged. Most cameras use some battery power even when off.

And yes, reviewing with the LCD uses a lot ofpower and dramatically shortens battery life (1/2 to 1/4 is common).

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 5:19 PM   #6

Thanks Guys for your replys.... I recharged the battery a couple times and its working really well. It lasted all day yesterday shootingatleast 200 photos, in cloudy weather, so the flash got used a bit and reviewing the pictures. I'm having alot of fun with this camera.. I look forward to increasing my knowledge so I can start gettign better results and playing around in some of the manual modes.

- Ariel
Old May 3, 2005, 2:29 PM   #7

Hi all. I just purchased my first SLR camera (Rebel XT)! Terry thanks for recommending the Canon cleaning kit.

From experience, can you guys recommend a nice camera bag as well. I am looking for one that looks decent and most of all should be compact. I plan to carry just the camera and one lens with it. No tripod or charger etc.

Also, I plan to travel a lot with this camera so I want to be able to carry just one lens which will good me a good zoom as well as a wide angle. The 18-55 that came with the kit is great for indoors but the zoom is almost non existent. Would really appreciate any suggestions on this since its probably a rather expensive investment. Also, quality wise, are Canon lenses pretty good or are there better ones out there. I am a newbie so if any of my questions sound to mundane, please bear with me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

sumitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:32 AM   #8

other thing eating battery is the brightness on the screen, lower little bit just the necessary to see the picture, that help to save battery

amatheu
AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 8:21 PM   #9

A good lens to go with the kit lens is a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. This lens will yield good low light performance and reach while not breaking the bank (It's also very sharp). Another good one lens solution is the EF 17-85mm IS. This lens gets mixed reviews but I've been extremely impressed with the sharpness and capability of the IS. The main drawback is that it's expensive ($600), but it does replace the 18-55 and a standard zoom (28-75). I was reluctant to look at this lens due to its mixed reviews but I tried it and my results have been excellent (as good or better than my 17-40L). A good compact bag is the Lowepro Photo Runner. It's a combination shoulder or waist pack, small enough for hiking or biking yet big enough to neatly fit The camera with lens + 2 additional lenses.
Humrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:58 PM   #10

Good choice Ariel. You had a horse? Fantastic.

Was it a thoroughbred?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote