Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 1, 2005, 10:32 PM   #11
ret

Hi Nancy

When I said Canon Raw I was meaning the Adobe Camera Raw Plug-in.

In Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) you will set the white balance and or tint for some color enhancement. Most of the heavy duty color correction will be done in Photoshop. Get everything as good as you can in ACR and backup your raw files. ACR is not changing pixel values so you can always recover from what you've done. Photoshop is altering the pixel values and the changes are permanant . Use layers so if you change your mind on anything you can delete the layer and start over.

You haven't mentioned whether your monitor is calibrated or not. Usually if you see a big difference in soft proofing it will either be your monitor is not calibrated or the printer profile you are using is not accurate.

My monitor is calibrated and when I soft proof for my HiTi dye-sub printer if the image has a lot of red or a lot blue I will see a big shift in color in soft proof. Other colors are good. If I softproof using my r1800 profiles the image is just about spot on. The HiTi prints just like it looks in soft proof and so does the r1800. The HiTi profile is not very accurate and the r1800 profile is very good.

If you are going to do serious photo work you will need to seriously consider calibrating your monitor.

Bob
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:46 AM   #12

You are right about the calibration thing (great another thing to do that I have no idea how to!). But I still don't understand why I don't have that problem with the jpgs. What I see is what I get. I will try to see if something isn't matching up.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:39 AM   #13

If you use the EOS Utility Viewer program for RAW files you can open the tool pallet and it gives you the same white balance options the camera does for shooting jpeg. The best thing about it is you can see what works best after you take the shot. Then you can convert and save the file as a jpeg or tiff and open the file in Photoshop to do more to it if needed.

I like doing it this way because there is also an exposure compensation tool on there that is easy to use and really brings out underexposed images without washing them out.

If you put the plug-in for the RAW files in the plug-in folder in Photoshop it should load automatically when you start the program.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:39 PM   #14

I got the plug-in to work. The problem with the white balance is that I have to custom white balance b/c my strobes are very old. With other cameras I just set the white balance to outdoor (sunlight) but the colors were off. Now they are dead on, b/c of the color balance, but I lose it in raw. It does show me a color balance in a numerical value (I think its 5140K) when I open the raw file. So I usually leave it. I might just have to stick to jpgs when doing my own prints, unless you guys have other suggestions...
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:06 PM   #15
ret

Nancy

Use the temperature slider to set the white balance in ACR. This will allow you to move it until you get just exactly the right color. If there is any color cast then use tint to get rid of it.

I highly reccomend the book "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" by Bruce Fraser.

Bob
ret is offline   Reply With Quote