Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:02 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just borrowed a Canon EOS 20D from a friend. I was doing a shoot, and I shot in raw (CR2). I thought I could just import it right into Photoshop, but it won't let me, is there something else I need to know. I would really appreciate some help, because I can't even view these pictures.
rojan gosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2

How long have you had your version of Photoshop? I'm assuming here that the version you have is Photoshop CS. Photoshop CS programs older than when the 20D came out need to load the update from Adobe that includes RAW support for the 20D. This applies to any new model- you have to get the updates. Even if you bought it after the 20D came out there's still the possibility it was made before the 20D RAW support was available.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:56 AM   #3

I thought you had to use the software given to us by Canon, first and somehow convert it, which I haven't done yet. I read in one of my books to use Photoshop like a plug in for raw, so I assumed you needed to edit using the Canon software, is this wrong?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4
ret

There is a plugin for PSCS available on the Adobe web site if you don't have it. After you install the plugin the browser can be used to view your CR2 files and if you double click on a raw image the browser will bringup the plugin and open the raw image. Photoshop raw is a very powerful image processor and you do not need to use the Canon software.:-)
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:50 AM   #5

I just got the plugin, but haven't associated the files with PS, should I check the box in windows that says, "Always use this program to open this kind of file"? Then it will always open in PS.
Old May 1, 2005, 2:09 AM   #6
ret

The method I use is to open Photoshop then under file I bring up the browser. In the browser navigate to the folder containing your files, I keep my raw files seperate from my processed images, and the browser will bring up thumbnails of all the images in the folder. Now you can double click an image and if its a raw (CR2) image the browser will open Canon Raw with your image in it. After you are finishied in Canon Raw it will hand the image over to Photoshop automatically. Good luck!

Bob
Old May 1, 2005, 2:26 AM   #7

Thanks Bob! I am playing with it now, but I notice that the color balance is off in my prints, compared to the JPG. When the picture comes up it has the color balance (in this case I custom color balance with my 20D to my strobes). So I leave the color balance alone. But when I print my images the skin tones are definitely off. A bit sallow in complexion. And the lips look like the person is in rigormortis. I am playing with the color balance now, but I am not there yet, are there any tips that I should do. Like should I change the color balance when the raw image first opens? Also when I "send" the picture back to photoshop (after it opens it with the raw software), PS gives me a message that it is going to switch to a different type of RGB, I forget which, should I not do this? And if I don't how do I prevent it from switching?
Old May 1, 2005, 11:03 AM   #8
ret

Hi Nancy

Color balance/White balance: feel free to change the settings here because it does not change or alter your CS2 file only the file you send to Photoshop. You can always put it back where it was without damaging the image. You can return the white balance to its original setting by going back to the "as shot" setting.

I have the 20D, Canon Raw, and Photoshop all set to Adobe RGB so my color space is consistent throughout. Only when finishing up do I change it to sRGB for web use.

The only thing I don't do in raw is set sharpness. Sharpness in raw effects the entire image and does not give you the fine control that USM does. I set my preference in Canon Raw to just show a little sharpening in the temporary image and thumbnails but not pass it on to Photoshop.

Canon Raw is the place to optimize your image as much as possible because it doesn't "bruise" the pixels. After you are satisfied with the image you can send it to Photoshop for finishing.

Bob
Old May 1, 2005, 7:13 PM   #9

So by Canon Raw, you mean using the Canon software? Or when Adobe opens it up. and that is where you should color balance? B/c I am color balancing in PS. The image on screen looks perfect. But when I print preview it (using the Epson software) I see that the color balance is off (and different from what is on the screen). And the print preview is accurate, it prints exactly how the print preview shows it. So I have been changing the balance, and then sending it to print, and it print previews it first, so then I see where I am at. Then I usually have to go back and re-color balance. Is there a reason why my images look different going from PS to print preview? I don't have this problem at all when I print the jpg files. And once again, thank you Bob for all of your help, I really appreciate it!
Old May 1, 2005, 9:08 PM   #10

Nancy,

If you're shooting RAW, the camera will assign a default temperature (color Balance) to your photos. Usually it looks worse than the jpeg that is created along with the RAW image. (assuming you are also creating a corresponding jpeg file).

When you open the RAW file in Photoshop, you are given the option of using the Temperature, Tint , and Saturation settings toset the color balance. If you want to use the Photoshop defaults for specific lighting situations you can chose from several, e.g. Daylight, Tungsten, Flourescent, etc. You will see that the Temperature and Tint setting are changed. Try settiing the color balance this way and making minor adjustments to the Tint and Temperature if you're still not satisfied.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote