Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:11 PM   #11
Administrator

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
thank you so much i am still trying to get a picture on here. if i want the subject more focused, do i use a smaller aperature number or bigger?
What I'm trying to say is that it's not a black and white thing. If a photo is blurry because shutter speeds are too slow, you may want to use a larger aperture (which lets in more light), so the camera can use faster shutter speeds and still get proper exposure). You may also need to increase ISO speed (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting and aperture.

If a photo is blurry because of depth of field issues, then you may need to use a smaller aperture so that more of the image is in focus as you get further away from your focus point). But, you'd need to take the shutter speeds you're getting into consideration if you use a smaller aperture.

You have to balance the camera settings used to fit the conditions.

In order to see what is going wrong with your photos, members would need to see an example that contains the camera settings used. That way, they'd see what you are talking about.

It may be thatthe camera settings usedwere fine for the conditions, and you just need to sharpen. Or, it may be something else entirely. But, members won't know until seeingphotos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 3:18 PM   #12
Administrator

Chances are, for most conditions, the camera's autoexposure algorithms would work OK.

But, when special circumstances exist (for example, you mentioned Prom photos, where lighting is going to be low), something else could be going wrong. Were you using a flash? If not, there is a very good chance that your shutter speeds were too slow for the lighting, and you needed to shoot at higher ISO speeds to compensate for it.

When you mentioned prom and fuzzy in the same post, that's the first thing that came to mind (shutter speeds were too slow).

There couldbe other things going wrong, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 4:16 PM   #13

are you still there? is there a simple way of getting a pic on here? i am opening them in ps and then lowering the pixels then trying to attach them using the bottom of the post reply box (browse etc) and it is still not attaching even when i get it small enough. am i way off

shellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:11 PM   #14

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
are you still there? is there a simple way of getting a pic on here? i am opening them in ps and then lowering the pixels then trying to attach them using the bottom of the post reply box (browse etc) and it is still not attaching even when i get it small enough. am i way off

How much are you lowering the quaity when you save in PS?

Attached Images

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:24 PM   #15

i saved the quality as a 9. in ps i changed the resolution to 15, which made it small enough. then when i tried to attach it. it appeared to be there when i previed it. but on top of the box it said to fill out all fields. i couldn't find anything to fill out. did you see the picture?

Old Apr 30, 2005, 6:09 PM   #16

I have similar trouble with the rebel xt, probably due to my inexperience :sad:
These are all too soft for my liking. Could it be to using a small aperature. As I walked around this event trying to catch some candids I realized that much of the time I would shoot before taking a careful look at my camera's settings. That explains the odd DOF on some of these portrait type shots. This is definately a learning process.

http://www.pbase.com/danspics/image/41355635
http://www.pbase.com/danspics/image/41355625
http://www.pbase.com/danspics/image/41355585

I too would like to find a way to avoid having to sharpen every shot and still shoot in RAW. Is that the norm?

shellyd, You can always upload your pics to an online site and link to them from here by copy/paste the url. I find that it's handy to have a place online even for the occasional need.
Here is a free one:

http://www.fotopic.net
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:00 PM   #17

Guess what!!! I am soooo excited ....i think i found my problem.......i just found out about the parameter setting. setting 1 has a higher sharpness and contrast than parameter 2...and my camera (i have no idea how)was set on parameter 2. i am trying some test pics now. i will try that site, dave,....thank you
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:19 PM   #18

I believe that RAW will automatically be set at zero sharpening. If you save a JPEG as well, it will be sharpened based on whatever parameter was set. It seems that the 20D pics really do require sharpening due to the sensor filter. I haven't figured out how to batch process RAW files. They need to be converted with the RAW plugin in PS or with Eos utility.
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:48 PM   #19

Thank you!!!!!!!!...for knowing that the 20D has to be sharpened. it is driving me insane. i really can't tell that much of a differnce between the para. 1 and para 2 pics that i just test shot. i'm wondering if it is because i am not using a tripod. i have one, i just hate it. i do use a pole, but it is not real stable. what do you think?

by the way i just did a batch sharpening using digital photo professional. (that is what i read on a site) you know, to save adjusting the sharpness (from a 3 to a 5) i tried it both ways and could tell no difference.

i want my rebel back,,,,i didn't have to sharpen every one of them

Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:51 PM   #20

sorry i am so slow, but i am picking the raisins out of the raisin bran cereal to keep my one year old happy and if lets me play with my camera i will waste the entire box!!!:?