Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:45 PM   #21

Parameter 2 is the default factory setting.
Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:01 AM   #22

Shelly, have you tried printing instead of viewing the images? Print one at 8x10 and then decide if sharpening is needed.

Most often the "blur" is only because you can zoom in so much with a computer.

On screen my 8M images can look blurry, yet print fine at 30"x40". So looks can be deceiving.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:08 AM   #23

Shelly,

RESIZE or RESAMPLE is what you are looking for. Changing DPI doesn't change the image at all, just a few numbers in the file that tell a printer how big to print the image. Look at the filesize, a stock 20D jpg image will be about 3megabytes. An image that is resized downcan be much smaller. But resizing and resampling loses the thing you are trying to find out: image sharpness.

It will be best to CROP the image down to a small area that shows what you are concerned with. Use PS-CS to CROP the image to 640x480or there abouts.Save the image in PNG or high quality JPG format and then post it.Even a view of just a face will allow most of us to see what may be happening.

Old May 1, 2005, 2:11 AM   #24

Dave,

Your compositions will be a real problem for your camera. Your camera may focus on the wall behind the people eating, or on them if you are lucky. Manual is the only way to be sure what you are focusing on. Or, set the autofocus to a left or right focal point and make sure it is over a person you want to focus on.

Tim
Old May 1, 2005, 2:14 AM   #25

Shelly, one other thing. Using RAW format will not help you with this, if anything it will just cause you more grief. Stick with HIGHRES JPG format until you are comfortable with the camera and getting images you like. Then RAW can help make them better, maybe.

Old May 1, 2005, 10:00 AM   #26

Parameter 1 has sharpening and Contrast set to plus 1. You can use a custom setting and up them to plus 2 for the most in camera processing. This may or may not be enough for you.

If your pics are blurry due to slow shutter speed then you need to address that. If you are using a flash, and you don't set the shutter speed high enough you can still get fuzzy pics. The 20D uses slow shutter speeds with flash in many of the automatic settings.
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:39 AM   #27

thank you, everyone, for all the advice. i think that my fuzziness is a combination of several things. i am going to set my parameters so that it increases the sharpness. and i don't think i am using the focal point things correctly. what my friend found in the pics is that it was focusing on the wrong things. i guess i better pull out the manual. when you are taking portraits,should you make all the focal points light up or which ones? the one closest to the face? do i have to use a tripod in order for the pics to be sharp- even if my shutter is say 125? an ap is 5.6
shellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:44 AM   #28

If you have dpp, you need to check out this site for updates.

http://photoworkshop.com/canon/dpp/index.html
shellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 12:29 PM   #29

When I take portrait style pictures of people I select a single focus point which is on their eye (some pick the cheek). Really pay attention to depth of field when you take portraits. Shutter speed is important also, because if it is too low and you havea subject that moves you will get motion blur.

For example, if you take a picture of two people and have a small f-stop (wide aperature) you reallyneed to make sure that their faces are on the same plane or else the one you are not focusing on will be out of focus. Either select a larger f-stop (smaller aperature) or adjust how they are sitting so they are exactly the same distance from the lens of the camera.

If you areindoors and using a flash and tripod, try setting your camera in manual at 1/125sand f-8 ... asking yoursubject to sit still. If they can't sit still, use 1/250s. As you get better at positioning and obtaining correct focus you will be able to select lower f-stops (wider aperatures) in order to lower the depth of field and get a nicer background blur (bokeh). As you get better at timing your photos and squeezing the shutter button you may be able to get away with a slower shutter speed.

One other thing. If you want portraits where the eyes are in focus, DO NOT focus then recompose. Read the following for a simple explanation:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photogra...pose_sucks.htm

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:38 PM   #30

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
I haven't figured out how to batch process RAW files. They need to be converted with the RAW plugin in PS or with Eos utility.
Photoshop CS2 can batch convert RAW files

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...amera_raw.html

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote