Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1

i just got the 20D. but all the pics are slightly fuzzy. is there a way that i can batch sharpen? i have photoshop cs. is anyone else having this problem? i am sooooo tired of sitting at the computer sharpening pics!!!!!
shellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2

Please post a few examples so that we can help you out.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:02 PM   #3

when we bought the camera the salesperson said that the camera does take pictures that are not very sharp and the he himself has to sharpen each picture. there are a few close-up pics that are okay but for the most part they are a little fuzzy. i took prom pictures for the school with a canon 50 mm lens and i sharpend several and they look better. however, i need to order all of them and i don't want to fix one at a time. ....is this not normal for the 20D? i would assume it is just me but the salesperson told us to expect it.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:10 PM   #4
Administrator

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
when we bought the camera the salesperson said that the camera does take pictures that are not very sharp and the he himself has to sharpen each picture. there are a few close-up pics that are okay but for the most part they are a little fuzzy. i took prom pictures for the school with a canon 50 mm lens and i sharpend several and they look better. however, i need to order all of them and i don't want to fix one at a time. ....is this not normal for the 20D? i would assume it is just me but the salesperson told us to expect it.
I'd post some samples as suggested. What you are seeing may or may not be strictly a sharpening issue. You may have issues with shutter speed, depth of field, etc. that would be issues with any camera in the same conditions.

A frequent complaint is blurry photos. Most of thetime,something the user is doing (or not doing) is causing it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:13 PM   #5

ok, i get it now....i will try to do this...
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:25 PM   #6

i'm not able to get a sample on here. i think my files are too big. the fuzziness could definatley be caused from my incorrect use of the camera, but every picture? do you shoot with the 20D? does anyone else have this problem.. if not then i guess it is me.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:27 PM   #7

if i wanta more sharp subject and i am shooting on "m" what might be some suggestions. for example: shooting pics of a little girl in the park in the shade.

Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:34 PM   #8
Administrator

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
i'm not able to get a sample on here. i think my files are too big. the fuzziness could definatley be caused from my incorrect use of the camera, but every picture?
You'll need to downsize an image for posting here. Around 640x480 is about right (this fits in a forum post easily). But,don't use downsize for web, or it will strip out the EXIF information (that contains information about the camera settings used).

Here is a forum thread about how to post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Yes, it could be something you're doing that impacts every picture. For example, shutter speeds could be too slow to prevent motion blur. That's a common problem, and you may need to shoot at higher ISO speeds (or at larger apertures represented by smaller f/stop numbers). Or, it could be a depth of field problem, because you're already shooting at larger apertures (and Depth of Field is shallower at larger apertures), or a combination of both.

So, I wouldn't assume that it's only a sharpening issue before letting members look at photos that include the camera settings used to take them.

I see that you asked about batch sharpening in our Editors Forum. Hopefully, you'll get some responses there (and here).

You may find some of these links helpful, too:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...atch+photoshop

Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:43 PM   #9
Administrator

shellyd wrote:
Quote:
if i wanta more sharp subject and i am shooting on "m" what might be some suggestions. for example: shooting pics of a little girl in the park in the shade.

You may not want to shoot using Manual Exposure, unless you have a good understanding of how exposure work. Aperture, Shutter Speed, Depth of Field, Focal Length and ISO speed all work together.

Edit: On second thought, do experiment with these settings (when the shot is not as critical). Then, look at an images EXIF information to see how these things impact a photo.

You can do many things with these settings... allowing you to get faster shutter speeds when needed to help prevent motion blur from camera shake and subject movement, using smaller apertures to get more of a scene in focus, using larger apertures to get less of a scene in focus to help subjects stand out from distractingbackgrounds, etc.

It's not a black and white issue and will take some understanding of these parameters to get the best out of your camera.

You may want to consider checking out a Basic Photography Book that explains them. It doesn't need to be specific to Digital, since the same concepts apply to photography with film cameras.

But, I'm sure members here will lend a hand at understanding some of the issues, too. That's whywe suggested posting a problem photo, and members can offer suggestions on camera settings to get better results, based on what went wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:03 PM   #10

thank you so much i am still trying to get a picture on here. if i want the subject more focused, do i use a smaller aperature number or bigger?