Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 2, 2005, 12:24 PM   #1

Hi, I have the 20D and usually just transfer all my images off the card using a CF card reader and Windows Explorer.

Yesterday a friend of mine saved some images on his laptop, and he has a copy of Zoombrowser that he got with his Canon digicam. It was slow, but it autorotated all of the vertical shots. I do event photography, and this would save me a lot of time if I could do this on my computer, because I currently have over 1000 images to deal with. (Yes, I'm new at this.)

I looked thru the software that came with my 20D, and installed it, but alas, the file transfer methodseems exactly like the method I've already been using. The Canon software recognizes the rotation, but the file hasn't actually been rotated. AND, I still have to deal with the CF card file setup.

Am I missing something here? Help! Does Canon provide a download of the most recent version of Zoombrowser? If they do, I can't find it. Does the rotation feature of ZB alter the file at all? I can't see that it does, but I might be missing something.

Thanks!

Kristine

p.s. I like my new 20D a lot! It's an upgrade from the Rebel, and it's spiffy.
xena45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2

Hi Kristine,

Check the setting on the camera itself (Menu button). In the yellow (orange?)selection there is one called "Auto rotate" which you need to turn to "on".

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3

Yes, I've checked that. Auto rotate is turned on. I installed ZoomBrowser; I'll just use that until I find something better. Thanks.

K
Old May 5, 2005, 11:58 AM   #4

One big problem with Zoombrowser - it can't read CR2 files (the 20d raw file format) - when I checked with Canon last month they indicated they have no plans in the future to update Zoombrowser to allow for the ability to recognize those files - they want you to use DPP or the other software that came with the 20D - neither of which I liked as much as I did zoombrowser. You may not shoot raw now, but if you do you will need a different method.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5

Hi again Kristine,

Just wondering what you mean't about your one comment "The Canon software recognizes the rotation, but the file hasn't actually been rotated."

I don't believe that there is an option in EOS Viewer Utility to even turn rotation off ... if the camera rotates it, EOS Viewer Utility displays it as rotated. Not that this should make any difference, but here is what I do:

1. With my card in the card reader I open EOS Viewer Utility
2. In the directory tree I grab the file with the images on the card and drag it into my image directory on my PC.
3. Still in EOS Viewer Utility I click on the folder and then select the image I want.

All photos appear in EOS Viewer Utility properly rotated, no different to what I see in ZoomBrowser. Since I only shoot Raw, I never use ZB and actually like EVU to browse my images, fix white balance, apply digital exposure compensationand then convert the ones I want to Tiff or jpeg. I use PS (typically to only add sharpening) before I print.

The only useful feature I have found with ZB is the red eye correction is really easy to use. If it weren't for that I'd delete it from my pc.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 5:18 PM   #6

What I meant by that is that when I view the photos in the EOS Viewer Utility, they appear to have been rotated. But when I look at them using PS, or just Windows Picture and Fax viewer (which I find to be a quick and easy way to view the images), they aren't rotated. I have to manually do it.

ZBseems to actually rotate the file, rather than simply recognizing code in the file (does it also do an additional 'save?', thereby reducing the jpg quality again, I wonder?). And that is kind of handy when I use other programs to view/edit the files. Having them already rotated is nice when I've burned a CD of the unedited files to look at on someone else's computer, too. Not everyone has EVU.

I haven't yet started shooting in RAW. I expect I will at some point, but for now, I'm just shooting jpgs.

Maybe I'll revisit EVU...but I usuall edit my jpgs in PS - having the files already rotated just saves a step, which is nice when there are so many, as with a batch of horse show images.

Thanks for your help!

Kristine