Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 3, 2005, 10:09 AM   #11

Do what djb suggested, but set the aperture manually to f16 (something small) and hit DOF preview, the image in your viewfinder should go noticeably darker. If not your lens may have malfunctioned or the communication with thecamera is not working right.

I had a similar experience when thediaphragm motor sized in the open position in one of my lenses, everything appeared to be working normally but the slides (remember film??) were coming out all wrong. Took a while to figure out what was going wrong.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 1:54 PM   #12

Fragger,

I remember that problem too (the two files showing as jpeg) and it seems like when I changed the settings it corrected for me.

I'll try it this evening and see what happens.

The first time I had the problem I realized I had not formatted my CF card. Even though it still worked it may have made a difference.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:46 PM   #13

If the areas under the AF points are in focus and other areas not, then the problem is most likely DOF as the others have said. If you have AF set to Auto then whatever AF points light up should be in focus. If you set the pic up so that the paper was perpendicular, then all the AF points should light since they are all on the same plane no matter what the aperture so long as the paper is truly flat and perpendicular. If that didn't work then I would say you had a problem with the lens.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:26 PM   #14

Ok, here is a picture I took at Aperture 8.0 and ISO 400 and still same issue. Have a look at the smaller picture as it will show the AF points just as I had them when I hit the button.

Hummm... read the EXIF and then just scroll down a bit to the next reply to see the pictures...

EXIF

File Name
IMG_0556 (1).JPG
Camera Model
Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
6/3/2005 3:58:51 PM
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/30
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
42.0 mm
Image Size
3504x2336
Image Quality
Superfine
Flash
On
Flash Type
Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation
Red-eye Reduction
Off
Shutter curtain sync
1st-curtain sync
White Balance Mode
Auto
AF Mode
One-Shot AF
Parameters Settings
Contrast Mid. High
Sharpness Mid. High
Color saturation Mid. High
Color tone 0
Color Space
sRGB
Noise Reduction
Off
File Size
5641 KB
Custom Function
C.Fn:01-0
C.Fn:02-1
C.Fn:03-0
C.Fn:04-0
C.Fn:05-0
C.Fn:06-0
C.Fn:07-0
C.Fn:08-1
C.Fn:09-0
C.Fn:10-0
C.Fn:11-0
C.Fn:12-0
C.Fn:13-0
C.Fn:14-0
C.Fn:15-0
C.Fn:16-0
C.Fn:17-0
C.Fn:18-1
Drive Mode
Single-frame shooting

Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:26 PM   #15

AF Points as I had them metered at the time I took this picture:

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 5:28 PM   #16

Full size image just had to lower the resolution to meet the file size limitation here:

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 5:36 PM   #17

Crow wrote:
Quote:
Fragger,

I remember that problem too (the two files showing as jpeg) and it seems like when I changed the settings it corrected for me.

I'll try it this evening and see what happens.

The first time I had the problem I realized I had not formatted my CF card. Even though it still worked it may have made a difference.

Crow I gave up on this. My CF card was formatted properly inside my 20D as well I did the latest upgrade from 1.1.0 to 2.0.0 (not that I needed it, but hey...) I did almost everything I can think of and still getting two identical 4meg JPG files instead of one RAW and one JPG. So far I'm just going to leave it be and work on the focus issue. I wish the 20D had a better Auto Focus system. I mean when on Full Auto shouldn't it just do everything for you FULLY AUTOMATICALLY ?!? and if not perfectly then at least get the automatic focus to work automatically.

/getting frustrated... I'm off to my happy happy place... brb...

Old May 3, 2005, 10:22 PM   #18
Super Moderator

do as nhl suggested further up the post and take a couple steps back from the page, take the same picture... i think you will find what yer lookin for... remember the closer you get to the object the shallower the dof, even at smaller aperatures...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 8:39 AM   #19

I don't have a clue about the file problem but I can see a problem with the photo. From what I can see, the paper is not flat and the camera does not appear to be perpendicular to the plane of the paper. If these conditions were in place and the pic turned out like that I would suspect that you have a very bad lens or a warped sensor...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:59 PM   #20

Fragger wrote:
Quote:
when on Full Auto shouldn't it just do everything for you FULLY AUTOMATICALLY ?
It does and that is the problem. Fully auto is good, but it's not a mind reader. It does what IT thinks is right.

You are really making it struggle with your piece of paper at that angle. The results you got are just right under the circumstances.

I don't know how you think your Rebel did a better job. Why not take the same photo with both the Rebel and the 20D with the same settings exactly and I'm sure your "perfect" Rebel with look the same as the 20D
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote