Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 4, 2005, 4:19 PM   #21

OK so today I had some time to mess around downtown (I'm from TO CA). I took a few shots with the different settings and the full auto seems to work just fine. The problem was imho the amount of light. When it was sunny (we just got about 25min of sun around noon today) the camera took some great shots. When it became cloudy the camera's focus was a bit blurred. I think dustin, djb and nhl were the ones to hit the nail right on the head there.I got some great shots on Av and P with F/8 and a few with ISO 400 - 800.

I wanted to post my pictures up for you all to see. Where can I find a free picture hosting web site? (If there are any out there)

Again thanks forthe help you guys, its this kinda community that makes all the difference.
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 4:29 PM   #22

Paul(UK) wrote:
Quote:
Fragger wrote:
Quote:
when on Full Auto shouldn't it just do everything for you FULLY AUTOMATICALLY ?
It does and that is the problem. Fully auto is good, but it's not a mind reader. It does what IT thinks is right.

You are really making it struggle with your piece of paper at that angle. The results you got are just right under the circumstances.

I don't know how you think your Rebel did a better job. Why not take the same photo with both the Rebel and the 20D with the same settings exactly and I'm sure your "perfect" Rebel with look the same as the 20D

Paul I loved me Rebel XT and still say it is an AMAZING piece of equipment. You should try one out just for the heck of it. It WILL surprise you how much this little engine CAN DO. I went back and looked at some of the pictures I took with the XT and they do look great. The surprising thing is that it took no effort or knowledge to get those results

I just wanted to say this: I don't think I'm making the 20D struggle. The angle could not be more the 20-35 degree's from the vertical. I use larger angles in everyday shooting downtown. When I point to a large building I'm on the sidewalk and it's 56 stories high, nowthat's a much larger angle. I got some nice shots today with lots of different angles and settings. I really do want to post them for you guys. When I find a free picture posting service I'll up and post them.

Fragger

Old May 4, 2005, 4:44 PM   #23

Have a look at this picture. It was taken today with Aperture 10 and ISO 400. I'm posting a smaller picture with the AF points and the large one just below.

Small picture: AF Points

Attached Images

Old May 4, 2005, 4:47 PM   #24

Here is the original picture. I had to reduce the size and quality a bit to get it under 250kb for posting.

Attached Images

Old May 4, 2005, 5:26 PM   #25
djb

Fragger, they look good to me!!! as for a free photosharing site, www.fotopic.networks pretty weel. they give you 250 meg of free space.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 5:37 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Fragger wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to say this: I don't think I'm making the 20D struggle. The angle could not be more the 20-35 degree's from the vertical. I use larger angles in everyday shooting downtown. When I point to a large building I'm on the sidewalk and it's 56 stories high, nowthat's a much larger angle.

... but remember dof will increase with increasing distance from your target.. therefore, even though the angle is the same or greater.. you have a MUCH larger depth of field from those distances than from a couple feet away from a piece of paper.. really are comparing apples to oranges...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 5:47 PM   #27

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:31 PM   #28

Yeah dennis, I'm so pleased with the quality now. I guess the 20D has too much to offer. All the features and settings were enough to confuse me... not that, that's hard to do. btw thanks forthe fotopic.net link I'm going to sign up.

dustin I know you're right. That paper in that sample picture has been inside my fireplace since yesterday and will burn tonight-> I'm over it

Paul thanks for the dof site I'm looking through it now, cheers mate.

Old May 4, 2005, 6:39 PM   #29

Hope this brings a smile to your faces

A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding...

Officer: May I see your driver's license?

Driver: I don't have one. I had it suspended when I got my fifth DUI.

Officer: Can I see the registration for this vehicle?

Driver: Oh, it's not my car. I stole it.

Officer: The car is stolen?

Driver: Yeah. Oh, but come to think of it, I think I saw the registration

in the glove compartment when I was putting my gun in there.

Officer: You have a gun in there?

Driver: Yes sir. That's where I put it after I shot the lady who owns the

car. she's in the trunk.

Officer: There's a BODY in the trunk?!?

The officer tells the man to hold on, backs off carefully, and calls for backup. Quickly,

the car is surrounded by police, and the captain approaches the driver to handle the situation.

Captain: Sir, can I see your license?

Driver: Sure, Officer.

Captain: Hmm, this license is just fine. Whose car is this?

Driver: It's mine, officer. Here's the registration.

Captain: Could you slowly open the glove compartment, please,

so I can see if there's a gun in there?

Driver: Yes, sir, but there's no gun in it. (He opens it, and there's no gun.)

Captain: Would you mind if we opened the trunk? I was told you said there's

a dead body in there.

Driver: No problem. (The trunk is opened, nothing in there but a spare tire.)

Captain: The officer who stopped you said you told him you didn't have a

license, stole the car, had a gun in the glove compartment, and

that there was a dead body in the trunk.

Driver: Yeah, I'll bet he told you I was speeding, too

Old May 5, 2005, 10:57 AM   #30

Don't forget, a little post processing of your image ie unsharp mask, levels, contrast etc will really sharpen up pics that may appear slightly blurry. The 20D's in camera processing doesn't always do the picture justice!

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote