Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 3, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

Hey guys, I'm new to DSLR but nonetheless I'm at a level where I kind of know what I'm doing now.I just can't figure this one thing out, I set my 20D under M to Quality RAW + L (RAW + Large/Fine). My understanding was that I should end up with two files: Filename.JPG & Filename.RC2. Instead I get two files with the exact filename and JPG extension i.e.: Filename.JPG (two of them). How is this possible and how can the camera store two separate files with the same names on the same card?!?

BTW anyone run into issues with the AF system on the 20D? I can't get it to focus the whole picture. I'm always getting blurred areas in my pictures. Is that just a part of the 20D Auto Focus algorithm? My Rebel XT never did that, what ever I pointed at I got asharp picture even at the otherAF points.

Have a look at the picture below. When I focus the top portion of the page the bottom gets blurred and vice versa. I just want the whole page to be nice and sharp. I took this picture with my 20D and the EFS 18-55mm kit lens (Nothing fancy).

Any help would be a blessing.
Attached Images

Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 2:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the problem is not your af... its that you are using a wide open aperature which is giving you a shallow depth of field (area of focus)... try using a smaller aperature (i.e. larger number) and taking the same picture, you will see that more of the page is in focus... do keep in mind as your aperature becomes smaller, your shutter speeds get longer and could cause blur if they get too long.. hence, when trying to maximize depth of field, macro photographers almost always need a tripod to get sharp results..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:23 AM   #3
Super Moderator

take a look at these...

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_dof.html

http://www.apogeephoto.com/feb2005/j...en2_2005.shtml

http://www.dennisglennon.com/PhotoTi...MadeEasy1.html

hope they help ya out a bit..

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply dustin. I do understand dof and I did read up on it. My problem happens under all settings, even Full Auto :sad:I'm almost at a point of going back to my Rebel XT and forgetting all about this beauty.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:49 AM   #5
NHL

Fragger wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply dustin. I do understand dof and I did read up on it. My problem happens under all settings, even Full Auto :sad: I'm almost at a point of going back to my Rebel XT and forgetting all about this beauty.
Hards80 is correct

It's not the 20D problem, it's you. May be if you turn up the light, the 'Auto' mode will select smaller apertures and then the entire picture will be in focus then...

You can also back out - the closer you are to the document (ie macro), the less the DOF :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

In regard to your RAW issue, I had the same problem and this worked for me;
Quote:
change the "Communication" setting on the camera. The manual says use "Normal" but if I want to use windows explorer to transfer the CR2 files I have to change it to "PTP".

Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:37 AM   #7

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Fragger wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply dustin. I do understand dof and I did read up on it. My problem happens under all settings, even Full Auto :sad: I'm almost at a point of going back to my Rebel XT and forgetting all about this beauty.
Hards80 is correct

It's not the 20D problem, it's you. May be if you turn up the light, the 'Auto' mode will select smaller apertures and then the entire picture will be in focus then...

You can also back out - the closer you are to the document (ie macro), the less the DOF :idea:
NHL, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I read nothing but great things about the 20D, no to mention all the awards it picked up along the way.

The problem is not so simple, I did take a few shots outside in mid day with moderate sunlight all aroundand run into the same issue. I've tried inside a well lit room and on top of a roof. In all cases the ONLY part of the picture which was very sharp was the immediate location of the AF points which were lit during metering (half press). The rest of the picture, where the other AF points are, is blurred. I am not sure what it is I'm doing wrong here.I'll a few shots today and post samples with EXIF info. and lighting conditions. I'll post the picture in a couple of hours.

Fragger

Old May 3, 2005, 8:47 AM   #8

Crow wrote:
Quote:
In regard to your RAW issue, I had the same problem and this worked for me;
Quote:
change the "Communication" setting on the camera. The manual says use "Normal" but if I want to use windows explorer to transfer the CR2 files I have to change it to "PTP".

Crow you are absolutely right. I do have the Comm set to PTP and I do see the RAW files whensetto RAW only. My problem is when I set the quality to RAW + Large/Fine. Then instead of getting two files with two different extensions i.e.: one with a JPG and the other CR2, I get two files (from one shot) identical and both with the JPG extension. Even the file size is identical. The RAW should be around 8megs but it's not there. I get to two 4meg files (compressed JPG's). Same name, same size, same extension and same date of creation. shhheeessshhhh... it's getting confusion just writing this down :?

Fragger

Old May 3, 2005, 9:23 AM   #9
djb

Fragger, when you try it outside with sunlight, try using AV mode (not full auto) and set your f/stop to f/8 or f/22. if your shutter speed reads very slow, adjust your iso to 400 or 800 to be able to use a small aperature and a shutter speed that won't cause blur from movement. then take a lok at the picture. if it is still out of focus then there is a problem. also, it looks like you are taking the picture of the document at quite an angle. try taking it at a more perpendicular angle so that the documant is at a more uniform distance all around.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10

Try the brick wall routine but it's advised to use a tripod and a level. Use all your focus points in AF, stop down to say f/8-f/11 and take a shot. Now look at all the bricks, mortar etc and you should have identical focus throughout the frame. Depending on the quality of lens, of course, there could be some fall off in the corners.

The main thing is to get your lens as close to perpindicular to the subject as possible.

TG:G
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote