Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 3, 2005, 6:40 AM   #1

Hi,

I was about to buy the Oly C-8080 but I got persuaded in the shop to go for the Canon D350 and got a nice discount too. However, I have quite mixed feelings about it and would like to hear your opinions. I am aware of the advantages SLRs offer, and I know the Canon is in many respects faster than the Oly but... I want the best results possible (DSLR-like), with not too much need for post-processing (although I'll be doing some), and with good optics. The main thing I'm worried about is the low quality of the kit lens included in the Canon kit that people keep complaing about in different reviews and forums.

As I won't be buying any new Canon lenses for the foreseeable future and will have to stick with the kit lens, my question is - should I stick with the Canon anyway, or should I return it and go for the Oly?

Thanks loads, your help will be appreciated!
Jo
Girl Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

Most people who complain have been shooting SLR's and better optics for years. If you're new to cameras you'll be pleanty happy. I have the 300D, Digital Rebel with the Kit lens (almost the exact same 18-55mm kit lens you have) and it has given me great results.

The Canon 50mm f1.8 mark II is a great portrait/low light lens. It costs about 75.00 dollars, and is a great investment. The Mark I, has a metal mount so it's a better quality lens and fetches about 125.00 - 150.00 on Ebay used.

What type of shots do you want to take? Wildlife? 200mm telephoto lens minimum as not to spoke the critters. Wide angle? Just think about that... if you want to shoot sports and get the best results, almost any lens with an f-stop of 2.8 will do great. But they cost... usually 699.99 - 2,000.00. Seriously!

I am about to buy the Tokina 24-200mm ATX medium telephoto lens. It's got great build quality, 3 year warrenty, comes with a lens hood, and best of all, it's pretty sharp for being sorta an all in one lens. Almost wide angle, to medium telephotos aren't "that" sharp until recently, and this lens only costs 299.99 at B&H Photo.

When in doubt, ask a lot of questions here, and google.com is always your friend as well. =o)

Hope I helped! Bottom line is... the 18-55 mm Canon kit lens is adequete to get most new D-SLR folks started. You'll soon want to upgrade though. That's for certain!

-tlmiller10 aka Tim
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

do not worry about the sharpness and contrast of today's digital specific slr lenses.. they are quite amazing for their price and size... combined with the larger sensor of the dslr, you will not be sorry...

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 1:31 AM   #4

definatly keep it, you will find that having an SLR is much for versitile than a point and shoot.
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 6:38 AM   #5

Girl Athena wrote:
Quote:
... I want the best results possible (DSLR-like), with not too much need for post-processing (although I'll be doing some), and with good optics. The main thing I'm worried about is the low quality of the kit lens included in the Canon kit that people keep complaing about in different reviews and forums.

As I won't be buying any new Canon lenses for the foreseeable future and will have to stick with the kit lens, my question is - should I stick with the Canon anyway, or should I return it and go for the Oly?
Jo,

No where in your question do you state what type of photography you're planning on doing. There is no question the 350d has more POTENTIAL but it doesn't mean it's the right camera for you. First off, the kit lense is very good for the price so I wouldn't worry about that. But, the more important question is: is the kit lense suited for the photography you want to do? If you are planning on doing any kind of sports or wildlife shooting the kit lense won't cut it - it wasn't designed for it. But by the same token if you want to do that type of photography you really should stick to a DSLR - just be aware you will need to buy a longer/faster lense. If, however, your goal is to shoot family and vacation shots, the Oly or another point and shoot might meet your needs - and be less expensive with a more compact body.

So, if you tell us what you want to use the camera for - and whether or not you are interested in more control of the camera or just want to use the pre-set or auto modes, we can do a better job of helping you decide which is right for YOU!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote