Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 4, 2005, 7:25 PM   #1

Only had my XT for three weeks. Using the built-in flash, half of my shots of butterflies indoors came out blurred due to camera shake.
Realized that the shutter speed was 1/60th. Jeez! What ever happened to 1/2000 flash speeds?
Anyway, finally caught on to custom function setting #3 so I can now shoot at 1/200.
Almost good enough but is it possible to set shutter to a faster speed with flash?
Would an external flash (I have the Sigma EF430 Super) work?
TIA
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 8:50 PM   #2
NHL

Strat wrote:
Quote:
Realized that the shutter speed was 1/60th. Jeez! What ever happened to 1/2000 flash speeds?
Anyway, finally caught on to custom function setting #3 so I can now shoot at 1/200.
This is because you use any of the Auto modes - The camera is trying to do an ambient fill and the blur is coming from the external light and not the flash

-> If you change the camera to manual, the flash will still be on auto, but by increasing the aperture you are shutting out the ambient light, and the flash burst alone will freeze the action even if the shutter speed is down to 1/30s
ie the flash burst (thousandth of a second) is much shorter than the mechanical shutter speed itself...

BTW you can always go to higher shutter speeds (1/500s for example) which is called FP - but this will not freeze the action, but only decrease your flash range, since flash is firing 'many' times to follow the narrow shutter slit! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:52 PM   #3

Thanks NHL.
I had the camera set on Program as you surmise.
And certainly the 1/60th speed wold give me that ghosting look.
I'll get it one of the these days.
--Strat
Strat is offline   Reply With Quote