Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 5, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

Hey, I am looking to buy a 20D and need some advice on a lens setup and accessories. I will be doing all sorts of photography but mainly indoor/outdoor portraits and land/cityscapes. Money is no problem (dead great aunt) but keep it below the £5000 mark. I think this setup is about what I want for around £4200. I don't want/ need 50 lenses and loads of stuff, 2/3 lenses for portability and basic accessories.

Canon EOS 20D

Canon EOS 20D Battery Grip

Canon BP-511A Battery (Spare)

Canon Speedlite 580EX

Stofen Omni Bounce Diffuser (For Canon 580EX)

Canon EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 L IS USM

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/4.-5.6 USM

Sandisk 4GB Extreme III Compact Flash Memory Card

Crumpler Stunner (Black)

Please tell me if I have any gaps or need anything more/less.

Thanks in advance

Rob

p.s any tripod/head combos worth looking at?? Also what filters would you reccomend brands and types??

roblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i would consider getting two 2 gb flash cards instead of the 4, just in case one should fail, you would still have a backup..

also i might split up your lens selection a bit..

maybe instead of the 28-300

get a fast medium zoom... i.e. sigma 24-70 2.8or something akin to that..

+

something like canon's 100-400 L IS, or sigma's 120-300 2.8

i think that would be a more flexible way to cover the ranges you are looking for... and will be superior especially for the portraits.. its also alot lighter to carry around a 24-70 as compared to a 28-300 and then only bring out the big gun when needed..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:33 PM   #3

:homey: Or worse do a brain-daft move I did today. I took the cf-card out of the camera to unload it, and left it in my reader. Then I ran out with just the camera leaving my bag with my other cards behind. most annoying to see the little no card message pop-up when you try to shoot .
Definitely a good idea to have multiple cards, within reach!

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i would consider getting two 2 gb flash cards instead of the 4, just in case one should fail, you would still have a backup..
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 8:58 PM   #4

I agree with Hards80, Instead of getting the 28-300, maybe look at the 24-70 2.4L and a different longer zoom. The following would work:

Canon 10-22
Canon 24-70 f2.8L
Canon 70-200 f2.8L
Canon EF 1.4x II extender

If the cost is a problem, then you could substitute the 24-70 with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di. The Canon 70-200 f4L is also a fantastic lens, but it might be a bit slow to use it with the extender.

Also, consider using one or more of the Lumiquest products rather than the Stofen Omnibounce. I find the mini-softbox and 80/20 to work really well (the 80/20 is excellent if you have a white ceiling to work with).

Getting a spare battery is a great idea, and there are some non-Canon ones at a fraction of the cost that several people on other forums swear by. Also, definitely get more than one CF card and get a card reader. If you have a laptop with a pc card slot and you use all of the usb ports you might want to look at the Delkin Cardbus 32 adapter as an alternative (other adapters are too slow).

If you need this camera for vacationing, etc., pick up one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...953&is=REG

Forget about using an Ipod ... too slow.

Bob

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Super Moderator

as another practical option.. check out sigma's excellent 100-300 ex f4.0.. what a bargain!!!!

also, save money by getting the aforementioned Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sigma's 24-70 ex f2.8.. either will give you the same performance as Canon's L for a frac/tion of the price...

get yerself some filters.. prolly want to get a skylight 1a and at least a polarizer for each.. prolly going to need a slim polarizer for your super wide angle.. you can't go wrong with Hoya's HMC or Pro lines..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote