Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 6, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

Here is the setting: A darkened auditorium photographing musicians on a spotlight lit stage. The back drop will possibly be black (or horror of horrors: orange) and the majority of the musicians will be dressed in black!

So my first XT setting's I'll try will be: P(program mode), with a white balance of Tungsten and an ISO of 800. (using the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II lens.)

Anyone with a better suggestion?

Mark

mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2

I'm new to this myself but had a very similar experience photographing an orchestra performing in a school gymnasium just the other day. A couple of things helped that you may be aware of already. I shot in RAW formatusing a tripod. After shootingI used the Canon RAW processing software (Click RAW button) and a Colorchecker chart to remove the orange created by the tungsten lights. There was some blur due to the slow shutter speed (couldn't use a flash) in many of the photos, but I got enough clear ones. I could have used a higher quality lens, perhaps a 70-200 F2.8 would have helped with the blur?

//jim

killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:09 AM   #3

Jim, thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try that. I have not experimented with Raw as yet. I think my first thing to try is to get a faster lens, a F2.8 like you said. I am downloading my photos now so I am not sure how I did as yet. Filled a 1gb card so surely I have something worth keeping!!:lol:

Mark
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 10:08 AM   #4

Shooting in RAW was one of the the main reasons I bought the XT. If you want, I could send you sample sample clips in jpeg and RAW converted to jpeg.

//jim
Old May 7, 2005, 1:14 PM   #5

I would push the ISO up to the max 1600.

Then I would set aperature mode and set the aperture wide open.

Then I would check out the shutter speed. Hopefully it's 1/60th or faster so that I could get a decent shot.

If the shutter speed was 1/125th or faster, then I would close the aperture a stop or twoto get a little more depth of field on the focus.

I'd also consider using flash if I could get close enough, and not get thrown out for doing so. Ormaybe a faster lens, like F2.8or better.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 2:29 PM   #6

Or maybe if you can get close enough, theCanon EF 50mm F1.8 lens (about 75$) would help with the low light.

And yes the RebelXT should be able to do a reasonably good ISO 1600. It has a similar sensor and the same DIGIC-II chip that is in the 20D, and that does well at ISO 3200. Just do shoot RAW and be prepared to do post cleanup on every image that is a keeper.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 2:29 PM   #7

Blast seeing doubles again, deleted.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:19 PM   #8

Question for Terry:

I rented a Canon 70-200 F2.8 today. Tomorrow I plan to go to the local bird sanctuary and take pictures of some friendly chickadees, nuthatches and woodpeckers (they usually come close looking for free food so I won't need the 1.4). The weather is calling for overcast skies. Would you use the same settings you mentioned above in that situation?

Thanks

//jim
Old May 7, 2005, 11:00 PM   #9

If it were overcast I would set the ISO to 400 or 800.

You probably need to keep your shutter speed at about 1/125th (if not fully zoomed) or at about 1/250th or even 1/500th (if fully zoomed at 200mm).

The background of your shot will be nicely blurred if you keep the aperture wide open at F/2.8 however your focus won't have much depth of field.

So I'd play around taking shots either wide open (f/2.8) or maybe at about F/4.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 8:20 AM   #10

Thanks Terry, I'm just about ready to go this morning. It's overcast and looks like it might rain. Should be a good test for the lens. I took this picture of the robin last night around 8:30 under overcast skies mountain time. The camera was set to f2.8 and the shutter 1/40. Now I know why people like the f2.8 lenses! The picture was shot in RAW and then converted to jpeg - no cropping, brightness or contrast manipulation. It was only resized for posting.

Thanks again!

//jim

Last edited by killdeer0007; Sep 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM.