Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 8, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1

I have the 17 - 85 lens and the image stabilization definitely works! I was wondering if there are times when image stabilization is a bad idea...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 1:32 PM   #2

The only reason I can think of to turn it off would be when using a tripod..

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 1:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i also think also if you are moving.. i.e. running/in car/ on train/ etc.. i think that can mess up the IS as well..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 1:45 PM   #4

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i also think also if you are moving.. i.e. running/in car/ on train/ etc.. i think that can mess up the IS as well..
Actually, the IS will help you cope with "photographer motion" (such as in-car, on train, on a monopod, etc.) but will not help you with any "subject motion" (ie. running animal, except with assist in the panning mode).
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5

Will IS be detrimental or just not harmful shooting moving subects? I was mainly concerned about panning.

H
Old May 9, 2005, 12:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

actually calvin, i think some of the earlier IS models, such as the 75-300 and 28-135 are not optimized for use from moving cars, etc..

and bigboyhf, some IS lenses are optimized for panning, and some are not.. you will need to check the model to see if it has a panning mode..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7

Only certain Canon IS lenses are suited to panning. Those lenses have two IS modes. Mode 1 is all motion. Mode 2 compensates for vertical motion only and is suitable for panning. Any lenses, including the 17-85, 28-135, etc. with only one IS mode should be used with a stationary camera only.

Out of curiousity, I tried the 28-135 panning from the infield with moving motorcycles in a race. The IS made the viewfinder image jump erratically, and the pictures were blurred. So if you don't have 2 modes, turn off IS for panning.

FWIW, mode 2 for panning works quite well on the Canon 100-400LIS. I've used it panning with cycles as well as birds in flight.

I also have the 17-85mm, and I agree the IS is a wonder on that lens. Makes it a true all-purpose handheld lens. It would be my "walkaround" lens...if I walked around.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8

The IS also consumes battery power, so if you are low on batteries, and have adequate light for faster shutter speeds, then turning IS off then might be a good idea...
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 11:42 AM   #9

ChrisDM wrote:
Quote:
The IS also consumes battery power, so if you are low on batteries, and have adequate light for faster shutter speeds, then turning IS off then might be a good idea...
Indeed, IS uses your camera battery. Fortunately, battery life with the 20D is excellent. I can shoot all day (200-250 RAW images) with IS lenses and still not run down that battery. I carry a spare anyway. [Digression. Here's a tip on extending your 20D battery: Since the 20D is virtually "instant on", you can set the sleep time to the lowest setting. When you need to take a shot, you half press the shutter, and in a franction of a second, it is ready to shoot.] On my 300D, I have the battery grip w/ 2 batteries, and I've never been able to run that sucker down. Consequently, no matter what shutter speed I use, I leave IS on.

As a followup on IS lenses, their capabilities and their limitations, the June 2005 Popular Photography has an article with a table listing the Canon, Nikon, and Sigma lenses and the KM 7D digital body with claimed effectiveness, panning capability, and tripod use.

Bigboyhf,the articleconfirms that the 17-85 is NOT suitable for panning, however it does stabilize on a tripod.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 7:13 PM   #10

wburychka wrote:
Quote:
ChrisDM wrote: Bigboyhf,the articleconfirms that the 17-85 is NOT suitable for panning, however it does stabilize on a tripod.
I will have to take a look at that article. I did get some decent panning shots with the IS on but not sure if the quality was affected. They were amongs the first pics taken with my new 20D and focus was an issue, but that could easily have been my fumbling around trying to get shots of my two dogs rumbling at the dog park..

H