Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 9, 2005, 1:39 AM   #1

I am using the Digital Rebel with a Sigma EF500 DG Super and all my flash pictures are coming out very dark. I typically use it in manual mode, 1/60, f5.6. This is for indoor flash pictures. I can't find a way to take pictures with AV, SV or P, and get a reasonable shutter speed to hand hold or an acceptable apperature. It's either wide open in P, or too slow shutter in AV. I can't usually use the SV because nothing works right. Are there any issues with using flash in manual mode? I don't understand why the flash doesn't expose properly. Please help! Lou
LLMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2005, 5:34 AM   #2
NHL

Does the flash display 'ETTL' on the rear LCD upper left corner?

If not press the mode switch until is says 'ETTL'
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 9:34 AM   #3

LLMc -- I had the SAME exact confusion you did when I received my DG super for christmas. The very short answer is that you MUST use manual mode, even when using E-TTL on the flash.

My questions were answered expertly by NHL here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

It's worth a close read.

Also remember that (unless you're doing camera tricks like second-curtain sync with long exposures) shutter speed is basically out of playwhen you're using flash -- because what will be captured will be the brief bit of time when the flash fires-- that's why in "auto" the shutter speed is fixed at 1/60 sec when using a flash.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:07 AM   #4
NHL

Thank perdendosi for the show of confidence! - Also more info here regarding using 'Manual': http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...70&forum_id=53
Old May 9, 2005, 10:59 AM   #5

I realize that I need tobe in manual for control of AV and TV. My problem is that my flash pictures are coming out under exposed. I can't understand why. I just tried it out in my basement and when I put the flash on +1 it came out ok. I don't understand why it's underexposing so much. I had the same flash with my Canon EOS5 and it worked great. I am using E-TTL. Are there any issues with underexposure with this camera and flash pictures? I am doing some wedding photos on the side and I am starting to go digital, but I can't if the images are not exposed properly. Thanks for all your help. Lou
Old May 9, 2005, 2:18 PM   #6

Heh, for what it's worth, I regularly use +1 (or more) to get what I consider to be a proper exposure... I think it's because of the Digital Rebel's metering preferences when set in manual mode.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 4:00 AM   #7

That's the kind of comment I was looking for. I was hoping that there wasn't something wrong with my camera's flash metering. Of course it is "wrong" in my, and apparently your, opinion. But at least the camera isn't broke. I guess I'll have to start using it at +1 also. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. I've been very busy with work and I have 2 sons graduating from high school this year. I haven't been able to spend much time on this or any other forum. I miss it. Happy shooting! Lou
Old May 10, 2005, 7:34 AM   #8
NHL

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
Heh, for what it's worth, I regularly use +1 (or more) to get what I consider to be a proper exposure... I think it's because of the Digital Rebel's metering preferences when set in manual mode.
Perdendosi is correct in manual the Rebel's metering is changed to centerweight metering instead -> so if the middle of the viewfinder is bright the camera will compensate by underexposing

-> Do an FEL (partial) on something that you think is neutral...
Old May 10, 2005, 7:42 AM   #9

Don't know why, but I needed a lot more compensation when I used the Sigma on my 300d than I do on my 20d. I don't know if it's the ETTL2 on the 20d but I get much more reliable results out of the camera and flash than the 300d.

For what it's worth I'll second (or third) what has been said - I always got the best results using manual mode and FEL on just about every shot with my 300d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:43 AM   #10

It seems to me that the flash exposure on this camera is not very reliable. At least that's the impression I'm getting from my results and the comments here. I did some shots the other night of a friends red truck at our shop. I went as high as +3. I did see some difference, but I would think that +3 would be very over exposed. On one set of shots, a picture with no comp came out brighter than one that was at +1. I have an 8x10 grey card. I think I'll use it and do some experimenting. When I get my results I'll post them. Not the pictures, just my findings; or lack of them. The really great thing about all of this is that I don't have to pay for developing :G!!! Once again, thanks for all your input, expertise and info.

Happy shooting! Lou