Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2005, 3:14 AM   #1

So I was reading Jeff's review over on his site (Digital Camera Resource Page) as well as a couple of forums and have seen a few post from users of the black bodied XT having issues with the body scratching. Wondering if anyone out there that owns either body would coment on this.

If you have to black body are you regreting it and wish you had purchased the silver one.

Users of the silver body...have you noticed it scratches easily?

Thanks in advance,

Randy
rbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 5:12 PM   #2

I have the black 350 and it did show scratches but it seems to wear off,I guess It,s just getting broken in,the marks do disappear,.hb
henry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 1:10 AM   #3

I went to a shop today to see for myself and unfortunately they didn't have a black XT (350). The silver actually looks nice but the black looks more professional.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

if the finish is anything similar to my 20d, its not really scratches, but the rought texture filing off dust from your fingernails.. though i can't be sure as i have only handled the silver model..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5

I'm gonna have to get my hands on a black one and see.
Old May 12, 2005, 1:27 PM   #6

Not, never the black XT is similar to the 20D, the XT is a bad plastic is something like a paper, I think the dust get stok there very easy, is not a plastic finish is matte..not shine and polished like other cameras body. I think the silver cover more

AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 2:25 PM   #7
Super Moderator

honestly i wouldnt worry about it too much... take care of your camera and there won't be scratches.. if you use it heavily, then a few scratches won't hurt the usability of your camera.. either way, not important..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 2:14 PM   #8

people like a clean scratch fre camera, at list me, I don't like anything dirt or scratch, if I see any dust in the lens I clean right away, and I care about not scrat the camera, I think in the way you take care of the things, that is the way the people look you. if you use a broken and dirt shoe and scratch and dust camera, the people say look this homeless with camera, but if you have a nice shoe, and very good take care camera the people say, or look you like a professional, or journalist or entusiast amateur.
AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 2:54 AM   #9

Honestly I'm not too worried about it. I take very good care of my equipment. I still have my first 35mm SLR. An FTB! I'm guessing that the course surface of the 350 body probably picks up dust easily.

Thanks for all your help.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:05 AM   #10

AMATHEU wrote:
Quote:
people like a clean scratch fre camera, at list me, I don't like anything dirt or scratch, if I see any dust in the lens I clean right away, and I care about not scrat the camera, I think in the way you take care of the things, that is the way the people look you. if you use a broken and dirt shoe and scratch and dust camera, the people say look this homeless with camera, but if you have a nice shoe, and very good take care camera the people say, or look you like a professional, or journalist or entusiast amateur.
I don't agree. I think a certain amount of wear shows some experience. I would worry about a photographer that showed up at my wedding and had a brand new looking camera. I would think, "does he know how to use it?" or "is he trying this out on me for the first time?" The old Leica users used to take pride in the brass showing on the camera. They wore it like a badge of honor! I figure equipment can always be replaced, but a miss opportunity is gone for ever! I would not go around scratching the camera for effects, but I am most worried about getting a shot, not what others think about me. My car is 30 years old, has some rust on it, but runs great, and I like it better than anything new that I could afford. I do not believe in car notes and will drive the beater that is paid for rather have a car payment that would not allow me to have the "toys" I would rather have, like the Rebel Xt. I think the black one is less visible and does not draw as much attention to its self. Better for candid shots, and it does look more professional, worth the $20 premium some venders charge for it. One vendor I saw it was almost $80 more, for that I think I would get silver and a 50 mm 1.8 lens.
By the way I do have a thing for good shoes, so they usually look good.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote