Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 11, 2005, 7:25 PM   #11

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
I can't agree with that. Sorry. I know it's a thing some like too say but it's just not
true.
Its just math, you can't disagree unless you want to change physical laws. The fact is, the pixel count is only 400 more in width and 300 more in height, that's all. And like I said, that may be useful in some situations, it still isn't really all that much.
Quote:
If it didn't make a difference it wouldn't be the hottest selling camera in the world.
It's the hottest selling camera in the world because it is marketed very well. To most of the public, more=better, and the XT has more, and it's new. There are a lot of reasons to buy the XT, its a fine camera with a great feature set, and produces great pictures. 6mp vs 8mp is only a marginally small reason to choose it over another camera.
Quote:
A 20D at digi cam price and none of the original Rebel's Canon imposed
limitations. (But there is a few still) Please! Go to Steve's review and see what he thought about the XT.
It's not a 20D, it doesn't even share the 20D's sensor(8.2 vs 8.0). Penta mirror vs prism, slower, smaller buffer, plastic body vs metal, 7 vs 9 autofocus points, smaller battery, only one control dial...
I have read Steve's, Phil's, Jeff's, and Michael's reviews of this camera. It's a nice camera, but if I were on a budget, the 300D would still be mighty attractive, just as the D60 was still attractive to me when the 10D came out.

Quote:
That being said... The original rebel is still better then (at least as good as) any camera in it's price range. It will take as good as pictures as can be taken. The human is the only limit. So get the camera you want.
As for feel... If you hold a camera for a couple of weeks it will feel like the only camera made for your hands. Things aren't getting bigger... They're getting smaller.
It's going to happen. You will like it if you give it a shot.
Yes things are getting smaller, this is not necessarily better, more than one review of the XT has problems with it's size. I know I want my SLR to have some heft to it, the original rebel was marginal to me, the XT is just a little to small, I would probably get used to it though.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 12:58 AM   #12

Update:

I need some opinions from the expert or at least people that have 300D. I received the Canon 300D on the mail and it is brand new. Of course, I am very excited, but as soon as I opened the box I noticed that the 300D body is making noises whenever I move it around. It almost sounds as if there is a loose piece of metal inside the built-in flash. Did I get a defective one?

My CF card is still in the mail, so I tried booting the camera with stock lens and it worked fine. took a shot in automatic mode and it took the shot.However, the noise is really annoying if I turn the camera upside down or slightly rock it left and right. Anybody here with a 300D notice this metal noise? I am just hoping that my 300D body is not a defective batch..... I would be really sad since I have to exchange through warranty

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 7:52 AM   #13

I am not totally familiar with the 300D, but I think that noise is probably the auto rotate sensor(landscape/portrait). Nothing to worry about. Oh, and congratulations and enjoy your new camera. At some time in the future you will probably want to consider the wasia hack to "unlock" the features in your camera that Canon chose to block.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 8:21 AM   #14

eosthree wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't agree with that. Sorry. I know it's a thing some like too say but it's just not
true
"Its just math, you can't disagree unless you want to change physical laws. The fact
This isn't about you and I disagreeing. This is about a person choosing a camera.
Not you -not me. I will give no rebuttal. Post your opinion in a your own post and let it go up for grabs. Not here.

To rally123,
Looking forward to your pictures. Sorry this thread was led astray.
Good luck again
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:40 AM   #15

ok great! this is the best news for me!!! Now I can go out and start snapping pictures.

Dale - not a problem friend! everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm glad we are all happy with our decision I will be practicing with the kit lens and 50mm f1.8 and purchase a telephoto down the line. Next event is Autocross here in southern california on the 28th, I will be attending and taking pictures with the kit lens, I hope it'll be fine
Old May 12, 2005, 1:12 PM   #16

:|

Hi, everyone, yesterday I try the XT and the 20D, and I notice rightaway this

when you have the 20D in the hand you filling that you have a camera in the hand, and not shake, when I try the XT my fingers was stock between the handle and the lens, to norrow space, there and not confort for hold the camera to take a picture, that's my opinion, everyone have a different, but for 300.00 or 350.00 I wait to get the money and I jump from 300D to 20D not from 300D to XT.

AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 1:21 PM   #17

I had 300D and never ear that noise. check battery compartment to see is something inside or remove the lens and move the camera up side down and look at the mirror to see if the mirror still in place or move back and forwarth. that's the onlything I can imaging make noise like you say. and pop the flash and move the camera to see if the noise go away.
AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 1:26 PM   #18

Well I've got a response from the customer service department from Canon EOS and theytold me that this is normal noise....

The funny thing is, even I have the flash pop up, the noise is still there, I tried opening the lens and see if anything is stuck inside but none. I will try again later today when I'm off work and see if its anything in the battery compartment or somewhere inside the flash.

Old May 12, 2005, 2:27 PM   #19
Super Moderator

i agree with eosthree.. it is a landscape/portrait sensor, it is more than likely a ball bearing that trips a switch depending on orientation.. my old A2E has a similar sensor that is quite loud, as does my 20d but much less noticeable.. so its normal, dont worry.. :|
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:10 PM   #20

eosthree is completely correct, it is not an opinion it is simple math.
The liniar resolution gain brought about by a 2-megapixel increase is an inconsequntial 15%, you need to more than double the megapixel count to get even a 50% increase in resolution.

From..To...Increase-in-Linear
MP.....MP...Resolution-%
3.......6......41%
3.......8......63%
6.......8......15%
3.......12....100%
6.......12.....41%
6.......24....100%

Peter.

Quote:
eosthree wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
true
"Its just math, you can't disagree unless you want to change physical laws. The fact
This isn't about you and I disagreeing. This is about a person choosing a camera.
Not you - not me. I will give no rebuttal. Post your opinion in a your own post and let it go up for grabs. Not here.

To rally123,
Looking forward to your pictures. Sorry this thread was led astray.
Good luck again
dale
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote