Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 12, 2005, 5:48 PM   #21

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
eosthree is completely correct, it is not an opinion it is simple math.
The liniar resolution gain brought about by a 2-megapixel increase is an inconsequntial 15%, you need to more than double the megapixel count to get even a 50% increase in resolution.

From..To...Increase-in-Linear
MP.....MP...Resolution-%
3.......6......41%
3.......8......63%
6.......8......15%
3.......12....100%
6.......12.....41%
6.......24....100%

Peter.

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
eosthree wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't agree with that. Sorry. I know it's a thing some like too say but it's just not
true
"Its just math, you can't disagree unless you want to change physical laws. The fact
This isn't about you and I disagreeing. This is about a person choosing a camera.
Not you - not me. I will give no rebuttal. Post your opinion in a your own post and let it go up for grabs. Not here.

To rally123,
Looking forward to your pictures. Sorry this thread was led astray.
Good luck again
dale
PeterP

I'm so glad you came into this.
First… I want to say that this post started with rally123 asking if they should have purchased and XT. It's now a person asking for help with their Rebel D and we're not doing that.

Second… READ MY FIRST POST! Nowhere in that post did I mention the word resolution. I said the 8 mp is 33% more pixels then 6MP. THAT IS CORRECT. I never in any post said or even implied anything about resolution. The point was whether it was a consideration for the purchase.

eosthree is the person that implied resolution. Then added that it was only 10% better…

I said I couldn't agree with that I WSAS CORRECT! I quickly tried to find the linear chart because I was thinking it was around half of the increase of % of pixels (in the case of 8 vs 6mp) but knew I had rounded off but couldn't come up with the exact number. That would have been 16.5 in my rounded off way of remembering but since I couldn't come up with the chart quickly I could only disagreed. I never post numbers I can't prove..I WAS CORRECT TO DO THAT. He was wrong and you are right. Mine would have been close to yours had I posted it.

But thanks to you I now have the chart. So I again disagree with eosthree's statement of 10% and go with your 15%. Dare I say that is a 50% difference between you and him.

However I agree with everything else eosthree said to varying degrees…

Now does 10% or 15 % constitute consequential difference??? Hmmm… To each their own… OH MY! I said that in my first post too.

Also I would not tell anyone that the camera they want or bought is bad… It's up to them. I suggested rally123 to read the review. I don't care if eosthree reads it or not. Neither he nor I are buying the camera. But the camera is now bought. I never said a bad thing about Rebel Ds or 300s in any way. As a matter of fact I said they are as good as the person holding it. A TRUER STATEMENT HAS NEVER BEEN SPOKEN!

I have nothing against eosthree in any way. Or anything he said, except that he implied I said something that I didn't. He posted a wrong stat not me. I hope too hear from him in the future in a less confrontational way.

Now… In ever post I've made I tried to return this thread back to it's original owner rally123. Can we do that now. Does anyone know anything about a noise on a Rebel D???

dale

PS I am deeply sorry to rally123 for this thread highjack.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 8:41 PM   #22

Hi,

The noise you are hearing is the flash rails that the popup falsh moves up and own on. Some are noiseier than others, Nothing to worry about.

Congratulations on the new camera! I think you made a wise choice. As far as a Telephoto lens, I would say that the Sigma 70-300mm APO Super macro would be the one to get. For under $200.00 you can not beat this lens. I have the NON APO model. I use mine for wildlife, Landscapes, Ski jumps, Snowmobile racing and Stock car racing.

I have yet to find any limitations with the 300D. The only limits are in the minds of the people using a camera. Like other people have said, If you need more functions do the firmware hack (it is reversable).

Enjoy the camera and have fun with it. I like mine.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:03 PM   #23

I used to be concerned about the rattling noise, too, but finally concluded that it is caused by the hinges of the pop-up flash. There is a tiny bit of lateral play in them. Later, I saw a post on the web offering the same explanation.

I use the Tamron 17-35 and 28-70 "digital" lenses with my 300D, and they operate just fine. I especially recommend the latter - image quality and performance are outstanding. The Canon lenses with USM are slightly quieter and faster, IMHO. The 70-200/f4 L lens is superb if you can afford it (the least expensive of the L-series lenses), and won't make you feel like you're carrying a bazooka.

Tom

tomc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:43 PM   #24

Exactly :!: What an Excellent statement

Peter.

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
The only limits are in the minds of the people using a camera. Like other people have said,

Enjoy the camera and have fun with it. I like mine.

bluwing
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:53 PM   #25

Yes, the original Drebel was good and quite clean on longish exposures even at ISO 800. Noise was there at ISO 1600 but with a bit of work it was controlable.
Here is a link to some astrophotography done with a modified drebel. Check in the nebulae and galaxy sections, most images were on the long side and done at ISO 800 and ISO 1600
http://www.carranzafield.com/astrophotography.htm

The Digic-II chip in the newer DrebelXT is even better at controlling noise at high ISO :idea:

Peter.

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about a noise on a Rebel D???
Old May 13, 2005, 12:02 AM   #26

Yes, definitely stop over in the Canon Lens Forum!
Lot of good advice to be found there!

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX is close to the price of the Canon 70-200 F4, and matches the Canon 70-200 F2.8 for performance. :idea:

tomc73 wrote:
Quote:
I use the Tamron 17-35 and 28-70 "digital" lenses with my 300D, and they operate just fine. I especially recommend the latter - image quality and performance are outstanding. The Canon lenses with USM are slightly quieter and faster, IMHO. The 70-200/f4 L lens is superb if you can afford it (the least expensive of the L-series lenses), and won't make you feel like you're carrying a bazooka.

Tom
Old May 13, 2005, 2:34 AM   #27
Super Moderator

PeterP wrote:
Quote:

The Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX is close to the price of the Canon 70-200 F4, and matches the Canon 70-200 F2.8 for performance. :idea:

AMEN!! do check into the sigma 70-200 2.8, that is alot of great glass for the money..

... but if its still too expensive, then get their 70-300 APO

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 4:51 AM   #28

I have the 300D and find it a great into DSLR camera. Once you are a little more comfortable with the mechanics of DSLR shooting then maybe you would want more out of a camera. I have a hacked 300D and am currently very happy with the extra features (though the camera is still good without them)

Happy shooting, maybe the next investment should be a 200Gb hardrive to store all your photo's. I rapidly running out of spave on my 160Gb drive!!!
SRXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:23 PM   #29

Hey guys awesome tips! thanks for all the replies, I willlookinto the sigma and tamron lenses. I am obviously a newbie to DSLR and I came from a point and shoot camera that has a little more manual settings (Fuji S5000). After testing atlow light with my stock lens yesterday, the pictureI took was unsatisfactory. Its not the camera, its just me I need tolearn more to utilize the new DSLR camera.

Can't waitto test it outdoor!

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 8:32 AM   #30

Rally123

I just wanted to tell you that there is an article in the May issue of "PHOTOgraphic" magazine (Peterson Publishing) about panning too capture moving action. There is also an article in "Popular Photography" called "Secrets of a NASCAR photographer", but it is less instructional and more what and how much$$$. You may find them online I get them in the mail.

Dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote