Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 14, 2005, 11:24 AM   #31

Hi,

I don't know your budget for lenses. I have a limited budget right know. I have the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 and the Sigma 70-300mm Super Macro II NON APO version. These two lenses do very well for me. They were only $189.00 +$12.00 Shipping. I bought them at Cameta Camera. They are on eBay and also have a Brick and Mortar store. Great people to do business with.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 2:28 PM   #32

Hey rally,

I too recently upgraded from a P&S (Canon A70) camera to the 300D. I must say, it's a fantastic camera. I swear I will never go back to P&S. I took the 300D down to the Toronto zoo one weekend and it took pretty sharp images, even in the pure dark rooms (though I had to use a tripod with a long shutter). I also took some pretty nice wildlife photos recently, all of which were using the standard EF-S lens. I don't think you'll regret that camera at all. The only thing that you may find annoying is filling up a 1GB CF card and waiting like an hour to transfer all the photos to the PC, but personally I don't mind.

With the $400 or so I saved with the 300D (over XT), I'm strongly considering getting myself a telephoto lens. So far I have my eye on the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III ($230 CAD), although I hear it takes softer images as you zoom in. The other option is the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro Super II ($250 CAD). *Fantasizes* if only L-series lenses were $100 a pieceā€¦ One place I go to check out about lenses is Bob Atkins website (http://www.bobatkins.com/). Might be worthwhile to check it out.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 11:28 AM   #33

Bluwing - do you have any sample of your photos with the sigma (non APO) lens?

I am enjoying this camera a lot! Over the week end I took many shots and I'm loving it! very fast compared to my old P&S digicamera. I am learning a lot with the settings and technique online and its really fun

Now I know what TheGhost is saying about the download time from CF Card. Just to download 29 images it took me about over 10 minutes. I planning to get USB2.0 card reader, I've heard it will make a difference in the download time.

Dale - thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out the magazine

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:53 PM   #34

Hi,

Here is one with the 70-300mm NON APO Sigma.

bluwing
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2005, 6:56 PM   #35

Hi ,

And here is one with the 28-70mm Sigma
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2005, 12:01 PM   #36

300 or 350? I have the 300 or Digital Rebel and have been very happy with it for the last year and still happy with it now. When you get it, if you haven't already, you will notice a huge difference from a Digital Point and Shoot. Stick with it and learn how to use it. All the bells and whistles are great, but when it comes down to it, a camera is only as good as the one using it. If you get good at it and decide that you want more features, then by that time there will be a much better camera for a cheaper price than you can get today.

Enjoy it.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 3:59 PM   #37

6mp vs 8mp makes LITTLE TO NO DIFFERENCE. The resolution increase of 20% is irrelevant with impurities introduced by the lenses (20% in 2 dimensional space, is about 5% in a single direction). Even the pixel count is much less relevant than the quality of the sensor to begin with.

So if anything 6mp vs 8mp is the LAST thing anyone should worry about; instead save up for a good lens.
pretol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 3:54 AM   #38

I'm new here but it is a thread comparing the 300 to 350 & it's been the subject of much debate....

Resolution can be defined as both X-by-Y or DPI.

6mp = 3000x2000

8mp = 3465x2310 (8004150 the closest you can get @ 1.5 ratio)

8004150/6000000 = 33.4% increase overall & 3465/3000 = 15.5% increase in each direction.

However...

300 sensor = 3072x2048 = 7.962624mp

350 sensor = 3456x2304 = 6.291456mp

The figures work out at 26.56% overall & 12.5% in each direction.

It's still not worth the effort but it was making me laugh...

BTW my 350rattles & so do all 300's I've picked up... rotation sensor as said before. I got the 350 for the buffer & start up times... & I like it's size.

HTH
Hedgehog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:21 AM   #39

Casey,

Enjoy the camera. I have used one for almost two years and really like it (but like all of us, upgrading is a continuing process). As for a telephoto lens take a look at the Sigma 70-300 APO. I like it a lot for general work, I also own a Sigma 170-500. I will not get into the discusion of which is better it is really personal preference but if you look at the monthly winners for the May 2005 POTD winners, a photo taken with a Rebel (300D) placed second. All I can really say is ENJOY!

Phil
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 6:25 AM   #40

Geez,

A lot of talk about resolution differences, but there are so many other differences between the two cameras. I have both and there is a world of difference between the two. Start up time, writing to memory, yada yada yada. I could go on and bore everyone to near death, but suffice to say that my 300d is a backup in case the 350xt dies while working and the small difference in price is only going to get you about 1/2 the cost of a quality lens and may not be worth it. Other than the cheap 50 1.8, most quality lenses will set you back about $400-500 and up. And what good is a nice lens if you can't take the picture cause you are waiting and waiting and waiting for the buffer to clear. Don't get me wrong, the 300d is a fantastic camera and can take great images, but there really is no comparison between them. And for you non-math geeks, the extra pixels do help to more than some might have you believe. My math skills are not that good, but I can see a differnence in image quality, especially when upsizing to print 13x19's prints.
tim g is offline   Reply With Quote