Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2005, 3:04 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm new here, and this is my first post. Two days ago I decided to move on from point and shoot camera (Fuji S5000) to DSLR and I was pretty much down to two cameras 300D and 350D XT. I finally decided to purchase the 300D over the 350D, have I made a mistake? I know the 350 is a faster camera, less noise in higher ISO, fast start up time, larger buffer etc

I figured I am new to DSLR and given that the 300D is priced at the right range, I decided to go with 300D. I have the optionto cancel this soshould I change my mind? I ordered 300D with kit lens and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens for $782 all together instead of $900 for a rebel XT only with no additional lens

I like taking pictures of scenery when I go out on a trip as well as occasional race cars when I go to any race events. Do you think the 300D with a good macro lense has what it takes to capture race cars going down the track? My Fuji was quite pathetic when it comes to taking pictures of race cars, but for scenery its beautiful.

Any comments from 300D owners are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Casey
rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2005, 10:05 PM   #2
djb

Casey, i don't own the 300D, i have a 20D, but, it should be fine for landscapes as well as race cars. What you want for race cars is not a macro lens but, a telephoto lense. Either 300d or 350xt should be fine for what you want to do. But, the 300d/350xt users could help you more than I.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 10:18 PM   #3

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
Ifinally decided to purchase the 300D over the 350D, have I made a mistake?
To each his (or her) own.

I just made the same jump and went with the XT. I know for a fact that the 300D can take really great pictures and if you look around this forum you'll see plenty of them.

But when you list the things that you considered you didn't mention the fact that an XT has 33% more pixels.6Mp to the XTs 8MP. Thats a lot. They won't make you a better photographer but they sure do come in handy. The newer DIGIC II processor just might help you do better though. Read the review by "Steve"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/rebelxt.html

The camera in your hand is always the best one.

Good luck
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 5:37 AM   #4

Yes you are correct the XT does have more pixels, but the actual resolution difference is pretty small, less than 400 pixels in width and less than 300 pixels in height. Less than a 10% increase in resolution, it takes a lot more pixels to increase the area a small amount. This increase in pixels is helpful, but marginally so, that being said, every little bit helps in the right situation.
The XT is what the 300D should have been when it was introduced, but then it would have been too much competition with the 10D.
XT has more FPS with a larger buffer.
XT has all features unlocked(300D firmware limits some features, the wasia hack can unlock these features, and from what I understand it's revesible.)
XT is smaller(this may or may not be a good thing)
XT has more pixels, a small increase in resolution over the 300D.
XT supports USB 2.0(I always use a card reader so this is not a factor.)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s350d&show=all
Here is a comparison chart, you have to decide if any of the features of the XT vs the 300D is stuff you can't live without.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:03 AM   #5

I just got my 300d a few weeks ago, and I can hardly leave the house without it slung around my neck! Picture quality, performance, etc. have all been great. I looked into the 350d pretty seriously, but opted for the older model for 2 big reasons - cost and size. I just like the feel of the bigger body better. And I can use the $200 I saved to get an extra lens (50mm f/1.8, of course), a case, and other accessories I need. It sounds like you're getting an even better deal.

The majority of my shots get printed on 4x6, with a few 8x10. At that size, the 6 MP resolution is more than enough. In facy, my old 5MP camera worked at those sizes, too. I can't speak to the noise differences between the two cameras, but I can say that I have been very pleased by the 300d's output at ISO 1600. With a little work on the images with despeckle, they come out looking very smooth. In fact, when printed at 4x6, you can't see any problems at all.

Frankly, my thought is that for the money, the 300d is a great way to get started in SLR's. When I can spend more on a camera, I'm just going to save up for a while and step up into the higher-end market. In the meantime, I'm having a whole lot of fun with this one. Hope this helps!
jedimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Super Moderator

the 300d is a very capable camera... for most people, and i say most, the differences will not significantly impact their photography...

you made a good decision.. and you picked the best option that is in your price range.. use your saved money and put it in a piggy bank and start saving for a nice telephoto lens...

welcome to the dslr world..

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 6:19 PM   #7

eosthree wrote:
Quote:
Less than a 10% increase in resolution, it takes a lot more pixels to increase the area a small amount. This increase in pixels is helpful, but marginally so, that being said, every little bit helps in the right situation.
I can't agree with that. Sorry. I know it's a thing some like too say but it's just not
true. If it didn't make a difference it wouldn't be the hottest selling camera in the
world. A 20D at digi cam price and none of the original Rebel's Canon imposed
limitations. (But there is a few still) Please! Go to Steve's review and see what he thought about the XT.

That being said... The original rebel is still better then (at least as good as) any camera in it's price range. It will take as good as pictures as can be taken. The
human is the only limit. So get the camera you want.

As for feel... If you hold a camera for a couple of weeks it will feel like the only camera made for your hands. Things aren't getting bigger... They're getting smaller.
It's going to happen. You will like it if you give it a shot.

good luck

dale
Old May 11, 2005, 6:47 PM   #8

Thank you for the replies everyone.

One of the reason why I opted to go with a 300D is the price as well as the fact that I am new to DSLR. As far as the features in 350D, the only thing I felt like I should've picked the 350D is the probably because of the larger buffer and capturing more frames, this might come in handy when I take moving race cars.

also, I went to best buy numerous times to hold both cameras in my hand, and for some odd reason I prefer holding 300D due to its larger size. As far as the resolution, the increase in pixels are great, but I will not be printing anything larger than 11x14 and most of the time I print at Costco if its anything large and I have no control over the quality of the print.

I've seen some great shots from both camera and there is no doubt that I will be lovin this camera. Any idea of which telephoto lens would work well with 300d? I heard that canon SLR will only work with canon lens or else user will get the ER99 code error. is this true?
rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 7:21 PM   #9

i think that going with the 300D is not a bad decision at all. you can use the $$$ that you saved to put towards more lenses and eventually maybe a 20D (or newer equiv.) i wouldnt upgrade from what you have unless you notice that the camera is significantly limiting your photo taking ability. after all, the lenses that you get for this camera sould work for all canons in the near-mid future!

Good luck and enjoy the camera!

BTW: i do not think that the rebel will always give the Err99 code when it is used with a non canon lens. i think it is a seldom occurance, but i only used canon lenses and did not have any problems
lemondster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 7:50 PM   #10

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
Any idea of which telephoto lens would work well with 300d? I heard that canon SLR will only work with canon lens or else user will get the ER99 code error. is this true?
You'll do great with the camera you pick and you will love it. It's all up to you.

The lens thing isn't true either. Where is NHL??? He's the lens guy with all the lens
answers. Post that question in "Canon Lens" Those guys really know what is what
and NHL will be sure to see it as a lot of others.

Don't forget to post some pics when you're up and running. I love car pictures.

Good luck.
dale