Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 11, 2005, 1:18 AM   #1

Just got the 580EX, the guys at B&H said that the non rechargeable lithiums are the best, as far as longevity and recycle time. Does anyone know different? I did a search in this forum and the peeps herewere saying that the NiMh were better.

Also I was wondering if the recycle time for the Metz flash (I would assume their top of the line flash for the Canon-don't remember the #)is faster than the 580ex, or the Sigma.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 6:06 AM   #2
NHL

Nancy Gabby

The Lithiums are better if you intend to keep the batteries in the flash and only use this device occasionally... since they don't tend to lose their capacity long term through self discharge

If you recharge the NiMh before each use the NiMh is more practical because they provide a lot of power for not much $ and are totally re-useable

The Metz is the 54MZ-4. I don't have a 580EX, but the Sigma 500DG Super's consistently recharge faster than my 550EX - with NiMh batteries (regular alkaline takes longer to charge).

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:53 AM   #3

Thanx NHL, for your info. I think the 580ex boasts faster recharge times. I just tried it out, and it keeps up with the 5fps, which is great. I tested it in my office which is fairly bright, I have two sets of the 8' flourescent bulbs. I know it says the maximum recharge rate is .1 sec. I also like shooting using as much natural light as possible which will help in recharge times. As far as batteries, I just got the power2000 2700mAh batteries. My other ones are 2300, and I still have 1300s from my old Oly. I have 3 chargers from all of my cams so I can easily recharge, there is no way I am going to spend money on batteries that I will be throwing awy. And I love the ritual of the night b4, charging and gettin' everything ready. Maybe it's superstitious but it seems to make my shoots go better, and I get more "keepers". I am doing my first major "event photography" shoot on Saturday, so I will try to post some pics. I might eventually get another flash, maybe try the Metz. But I think I will just invest in the alien bees strobes they look so kewl and they are very affordable.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 7:00 AM   #4
NHL

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Thanx NHL, for your info. I think the 580ex boasts faster recharge times. I just tried it out, and it keeps up with the 5fps, which is great.
... at short distance, and not fully discharged most electronic flashes will do this - How about fully discharged (i.e. when the aperture is closed down) and a little further away?

In fact in the 'High-Speed-Sync' mode, even the Sigma can pulse at a much faster rate than 5fps, to follow the shutter slit, but the distance is reduced :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:30 AM   #5

When you shoot on continuous, how many flashes can you do before overheating? I thought after 10 shots you had to give it a nice long rest or you can damage the flash...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:49 AM   #6

bigboyhf is correct about the cool down time required between bursts of flashes. These little strobes are not fan cooled :-). You should be able to find the specs for this in the manual, as the number of consecutive flashes will depend on the power output setting.

The Sigma DG Super varies from 10-40 consuctive flashes depending on power output

If you are worried about batter life you may be interested in the CP-E3 battey pack.

Canon marketing blurb:
Canon is offering a new external power pack called the Compact Battery Pack CP-E3. This battery pack reduces full power recycling time from about six to 1.7 seconds and increases the number of full-power flashes per charge from approximately 100 to 432

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:44 AM   #7

Can someone tell me the pinouts on the CP-E3 external battery pack that works with the Canon 580EX

Thanks
who_am_i is offline   Reply With Quote