Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 11, 2005, 2:44 PM   #1
FJ

Sorry to be another guy asking, but advice is needed! This is what I plan on buying, am I making any errors or missing anything? I will mostly be shooting family, landscapes and golf...

Canon EOS 20D
Canon EOS 20D Battery Grip
Canon BP-511A Battery (Spare)
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip
Scandisk ULTRA II 2GB Memory Card x 2
LowePro Stealth Reporter 300 AW Bag

Is this a decent set-up? And does anyone have thoughts on buying/not-buying on the web? I can save £500 ($900) by buying abroad, but is it a gamble worth taking?

Also, is there an advantage to the EF-S lens' over standard EF ones - should I replace the 17-85 EF-S with a 28-135 IS EF as my day-to-day lens?

Lastly, what filters do I need immediately?

Many thanks for all your help from a new convert to Steve's!

FJ
FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2005, 2:57 PM   #2

It depends on what you want to photograph. You have no fast lenses in there... See this thread related to my equipment search which appears similar to yours....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...33&forum_id=37

I ended up with everything I listed a the end of that thread except for the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. I haven't gotten anything to fill that gap...
Note: the price difference between my original list and my final list is significant, but with the advise of the people here, I am extremely happy that I waited and saved enough to get the better equipment.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's definitely a decent set up.

Try www.warehouseexpress.com I've found their prices to be good and their service excellent. It's certainly much cheaper than high street prices, but perhaps more than you might get from the US or HK.

I personally would get from someone close to you. The HK shops on ebay have prices that are basically identical except for VAT, which you may get charged by customs anyway if you are unlucky. But you will have a valid UK warrantee and it's easy to send stuff back if you don't like it or it doesn't work.

You don't have any low-light gear in there. Neither a really fast lens nor a flash. That's fine to start because you can use the built-in flash, but I reckon you'll want one or both at some point.

You can find endless debate over which is the best walkaround lens in other threads, and also endless debate about whether you should go EF-S or not. I suggest you dig through the threads a bit and think about it.

One thing I would suggest though is that perhaps you should just start with the 17-85 and use that for 3 months and then decide what other gear you want. You don't say how experienced a photographer you are, but even if you do know your stuff I'd still suggest taking a bit of time with the camera plus one lens. You'll then have a much better feel for what extras you want after you get a really good feel for the camera.

Obviously you'll need the extra battery and CF card immediately, and a bag.

Good luck - you've got a ton of fun ahead of you. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2005, 4:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

well the whole ef vs ef-s question really depends on your future plans.. if you plan on sticking with the consumer line of cameras, canon has committed to the ef-s mount for the foreseeable future.. however, if you ever decide to move up to the 1d/1ds line of cameras, the ef-s will not work...

if you want a setup that is compatible with full frame, or just a few other options to look into, here are a couple options for each category that are compatible with all canon cameras...

sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6 ex dg / sigma 17-35 2.8-4.0 ex dg (more speed,not as wide)

canon 28-135 IS 3.5-5.6 / sigma 24-70 ex dg 2.8 (more speed, less range)

sigma 70-200 2.8 ex dg / sigma 100-300 4.0 ex dg (both great teles)

just some other options, but your setup looks good as well.. enjoy!!

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:52 AM   #6
FJ

To all who responded, thank you very much for the advice. I have decided to buy in the UK (the extra £400 is offset by a small rebate from Canon and a lot of peace-of-mind).

Right now I am going to buy the following lenses:

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
Canon EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6

These seem to be good ones to start with. What I am still struggling with is which longer range zoom to buy. I have a budget, but am willing to stretch it if necessary. The longer zoom will mostly be used for golf photography, so it needs to be fast, and have a decent range, but the 75-300 Canon lens might be a bit slow for this?

Any further thoughts would be helpful! Is there a Sigma or other lens I should consider?

Many thanks again, FJ

FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 5:39 AM   #7

I'd like to add my two cents in. I own the 20D and I have a Lexar 80x card (which writes at 12 mb/sec). The card is great when you just shoot jpgs. But in my first studio shoot, where I was doing RAW+jpg after about 5 shots or so the buffer filled up and I was waiting around for the card to be written to. Sandisk just came out with the Extreme III card which has awrite speed of 20mb/sec. I just got the card so I can't verify the speed, but if you are planning on doing raw files, I would definitely suggest that card. I missed a lot of great shots b/c I couldn't shoot until the buffer was dumped, and it felt like I was constantly waiting around. And due to the strobes I wasn't shooting 3 fps, maybe 1fps, and the camera was re-focusing on every shot. But if you don't plan on raw, then you can save a bit of money. I paid $219.95(US) @ B&H photo.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 6:32 AM   #8
NHL

FJ wrote:
Quote:
Any further thoughts would be helpful! Is there a Sigma or other lens I should consider?
Yes - The Sigma 100-300 constant f/4 EX
http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-2.html
http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_85165_3128crx.aspx

Nancy Gabby

You've pretty much reach the upper limit of your 20D... Going to faster speed is not going to help: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7303
-> i.e. there's no 'perceivable' differences in speed among the top 12 entries...

Quote:
And due to the strobes I wasn't shooting 3 fps, maybe 1fps
Are you using 'real' studio strobes? or are you on external flash with HV pack which you are 'cooking' the heads at that speed... :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote