Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 12, 2005, 3:14 PM   #1

I ordered an XT through Dell and it is taking way too long to be delivered. The order was delayed 3 times and now I have to wait until June 1, which could also be pushed out further.

Now the biggie, should I just get the 20D? The website says it could ship within 24 hours so I'm thinking about it....

I'm an amateur, but would this purchase make sense? Are the extra bucks worth it?

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!
Chulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 3:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it depends on whether its worth extra money to YOU...

so basically you are getting a more durable body, a better controls layout, and faster continuous shooting mode.. you are also getting the ability to use ISO 3200, and there are some reports that show the 20d having lower noise at 1600..

so what you have to ask yourself is 1) am i going to need those featurs 2) are they worth 600 bucks (which could be put towards a nice lens)..

g'luck, dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 3:40 PM   #3

Yup, if you don't need that extra stuff the 20D gets you, the spare 600$ can buy a nice chunk of glass, or a really nice strobe.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 9:57 PM   #4

Chulmo wrote:
Quote:
I ordered an XT through Dell and it is taking way too long to be delivered. The order was delayed 3 times and now I have to wait until June 1, which could also be pushed out further.
I feel your pain... Brother... I feel your pain... I'm onthe 2nd backorder for my XT. But I got such a good deal I'm sticking it out. I hoped to have had it for my daughter's prom pictures this weekend. The F717 will have to do. Again.

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5

One big difference is size and weight. Some people with small hands might not like the XT. The 20D is a bit heavier as well. Some like this, but if you are hiking around this might be a detractor.

H (20D)
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:22 AM   #6

IMHO if you want big glass go with the 20D or else your camera may break in two if you hold it wrong or you wont be able to wrap your fingers around the grip.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:32 AM   #7
Super Moderator

i wouldnt worry about the 350d breaking in two, its got a metal mount that is integrated quite well with the frame..

what i will suggest is that with big glass, the balance will be off on the 350d, but then again, a battery grip will fix this in a hurry if the need arises..
Old May 13, 2005, 7:30 AM   #8

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
i wouldnt worry about the 350d breaking in two, its got a metal mount that is integrated quite well with the frame..

what i will suggest is that with big glass, the balance will be off on the 350d, but then again, a battery grip will fix this in a hurry if the need arises..
The balance is an issue and i wonder if people who use tripods and monopodsa lot
(me) will have a problem over time from a lens hanging out there? (XT or 20D)
Is therean add on for lenses that don't already have a tripod mount?

dale
Old May 13, 2005, 7:37 AM   #9

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
I went to Sigma and answered my own question. Yes they do have a tripod mount. Not for my lens... Of course. Now i wonder if there is a universal adaptor???

dale

Old May 13, 2005, 12:57 PM   #10
Super Moderator

thatsanicepicture2 wrote:
Quote:
Hards80 wrote:
Quote:

The balance is an issue and i wonder if people who use tripods and monopodsa lot
(me) will have a problem over time from a lens hanging out there? (XT or 20D)

dale

if your lens does not have a tripod collar or one offered for it, more than likely it is not heavy enough to be a problem.. i was talking more about the handheld balance of the larger lenses that do have collars..

:|