Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 13, 2005, 2:16 AM   #1

Okay I just paid off my 70-200mm F2.8L and I now need to buy some equipment to set me up to cover events at a local hotel that I just got on there vendor list as a photographer and I am one of two people on there list because the director of events there is very picky and apperently she likes my work.

So now I need to buy my flash and another lens, but I havent made up my mind yet on the flash, its gonna be the Metz 70MZ-5 or the Canon 580EX. I like the Metz but Then agian I like the mutil flash 580ex setup I was looking at to light up the whole room and its provides ETTL II when I upgrade my body because it is gonna happen.

So whats your thoughts?

On the lens front I am debating about retiring my Tamron 28-75 F2.8 even thou it did great for my cousins wedding the 24-70 F2.8L would do better or buying a wider lens for my camera the 16-35 F2.8L
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 2:30 AM   #2
Super Moderator

i would not retire your tamron 28-75 2.8 for a sigma 24-70, they are both excellent lenses with very little differences.. i would sure not trade them for16-35, the 28-75 is a much more useful focal range for event photography.. i think the combination you have right now of the 28-75 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 is about perfect in my book.. when i am covering an event, i would estimate that 98 percent of my pictures are shot with my 28-135 IS, and i wouldnt be too upset if that was the only lens i had with me.. as for the flash, i really dont think you can go wrong either way... you will save some bulk and weight with the canon, which would be important by the end of the evening... might i also suggest the sigma 500 super, you can pick up 2 of these babies for the price of your 580ex and they share most of the same features..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:55 AM   #3

I was thinking about the Sigma but the lack of ETTL-II is what gets me if I was to use a multi flash setup. Even thou my current Rebel doesnt suport ETTL-II the 20D will and that looks to be my first upgrade of next year.

Plus with the results the 550EX that I rent gives me I am sold on canons flashes and I know how to work them with the ETTL metering problems so I dont want a major change.

Now on the other hand I need to also consider the fact I need a laptop and printer to do onsite photos. So if I buy one 580EX over the Metz for starters that will help me buy my printer and laptop sooner and make more money to buy more gear.

As for the Tamrom I think I will use it for now it did do a great job and look itno the 16-35mm F2.8L
Old May 13, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the sigma 500 dg super does support e-ttl II , i use it with great results on my 20d.. it is every bit the equal of the 550ex.. and that is even more money saved for your laptop and printer..
Old May 13, 2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:
As for the Tamrom I think I will use it for now it did do a great job and look itno the 16-35mm F2.8L
you might also want to check into the Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM.. (make sure its the dg version)... this is a wonderfully sharp lens with a fast usm motor that will again give you the professional results ou needand save you some money over the canon..

check out the mtfs (you can ignore the extreme right hand as the aps sensor will not use that portion of the graph)..

Old May 15, 2005, 8:04 PM   #6

Well I covered an event at the hotel and it was a job but not as hard as a normal wedding. I worked next to the guy that was the offical wedding photographer and he got to the hotel an hour before anyone else did so we talked for a great while and I learned alot. His tools were impressive 1Ds, 1D, 70-200 IS F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8L, 180 F3.5L macro, 85 F1.2L, 2 canon 550EX's, and 2 battery packs 2 per camera, one for the body and one for the flash. He said his main and favorite lens is the 85mm F1.2L due to is speed and focal lenght on his 1D but on his 1Ds he said if it wasnt for the higher res he would go with a longer focal length. When we talked I asked him about the debate between Sigma, Canon, and Tamron lenses and flashes. These where his words:

Ive used it all, Nikons, Sigmas, and Canon and 3rd party flashes, lenses, or anything with an important role are just that 3rd party they are design with an outside view of of the system they dont know the design by heart and while the stats may look better or the price may be cheaper a part designed by Canon for a Canon is going to work far better that a part designed by Simga for Simgas thats has only been retrofitted to work with the Canon EOS System not designed for it.

As for my next buy after playing with the 85 1.2L(yes he let me use his backup equipment!) Ive made up my mind two 580EX and then 85MM 1.2L you can take pictures is no light and yet they are as bright as can be!!!
Old May 15, 2005, 9:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

victor,

congrats on your first, and sounds like successful, gig for your hotel.. i think you will be well served with the equipment you will be getting.. it is always very NICE indeed to get a chance to try out the stuff before you buy.. keep us posted on how things are going..

g'luck, dustin