Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 13, 2005, 2:42 AM   #1
FJ

I like the idea the vertical grip and shutter button for shooting portrait, but how long does the normal battery last, and how much heavier/more cumbersome is the 20D with the grip on?

All thoughts welcome!

FJ
FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 3:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Well it's a trade-off.

The grip holds 2 normal batteries, so gives twice the life. However I've never even come close to using up one battery in the course of a single day, and I always carry a spare. At any rate, it only takes a few seconds to change battery and you'll be changing CF cards far more often than the battery anyway. So for me it all comes down to whether you want the vertical grip and shutter.

I like the 20D because it's just the right size as is. For me the extra heft of the battery grip is a distinct liability. Of course if most of my pictures were in portrait format I might think differently.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree... i like the balance as is, and i have no real problems shooting portrait orientation with it that way either..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:43 PM   #4

I actually found that the battery grip gave me extra working space as in I do a lot of portrait oriented shots...invaluable for this I would say. As the others say here, it is personal preference but I also have big hands.

See how you get on without it first!

All the best,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 3:53 PM   #5

I'm with Freefly on this, I find the 20D too small to hold comfortably without the grip.

BTW: Check your local Canon site, there is a recall on the grips in Canada. Some problems with the camera reporting low battery levels with fully charged batteries. :shock:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 6:38 PM   #6

I've never had the vertical release but used to like the motor drive on my Olympus 35mm just for the feeling of the grip.
Gary_Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 6:38 PM   #7

I just got one for my 20D. It works great!!! Also, I actually have a steadier hand in taking shots. Why? DK for sure, but it seems more stable and centered. So, it seems a bit bulkier, but it's really sturdy and helps remind me to take some shots vertically as well as horizontially. Most folks I ran into in photography classes love it. But it's personal...and you have to afford it. I've run out of battery power on trips many times. The Battery grip not only allows you two batteries but a 6 AA cartridge for final back-up situations. So far, so good, from my side.
Wayne
wtfisk is offline   Reply With Quote