Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 13, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1
WRD

I purchased the 20D about a month ago and am still adjusting to using it with the Metz 45 CL-4 that I've owned for some time now shooting film photography over theyears.When I purchased the Metz, I had decidedat the time not to buy the SCA 300 adaptersince all of my flash shots weredone usingone of the 6 automatic modes or the manual mode on the flash. I am now thinking of purchasing the SCA 300 adapterto take advantage of TTL, but I'mreading conflicting advice as to whether or not it will work effectively with the 20D.Can anyone advise on this issue? Also, if it does work, exactly what accessory/accessories need to be purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated.
WRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2005, 7:31 AM   #2
NHL

Why do you think you need E-TTL? :idea:

I have the older workhorse Metz 45 CT-5 and it works very consistently (more so than E-TTL) through its 'Auto' mode sensor with a regular sync cord, i.e. no SCA adapter required!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 1:24 AM   #3

I ran into a similar problem. I have an even older Metz 45 CT-4. When I bought my Digital Rebel, I was disappointed that I could not use it with E-TTL. I emailed Metz and got a very informative answer from their customer service. It was in German, so here is a loose translation:

"Digital Canon cameraslike 300D or 350D etc. only use E-TTL technology these days which did not exist when the45 CT-4 was manufactured. A retrofit (with a new adapter) is not possible because it will not be compatible with the old technology (too slow). On top of that, the old TTL technology does not work on digital cameras anymore because they used to measure the reflection of the light from the film, and there is no film anymore.

For this reason, the 45 CT-4 can only be used in the AUTO mode with manual aperture setting.

There are several E-TTL capable flash units offered by Metz now, and sometime this fall, Metz will offer a flash similar to the 45 CT-4 (45 CL-4 Digital) which will be E-TTL capable."

So, as the other reply mentioned, they still work well in manual mode.Otherwise you will have to find something else (I bought a Canon 420EX for now), or wait for the 45 CL-4 Digital which I find very tempting. I love the small second built in flash unit, and I don't think there are any flash units capable of E-TTL (2) which offer two flashes in one unit at this time.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 6:13 AM   #4
NHL

Michi wrote:
Quote:
... I love the small second built in flash unit, and I don't think there are any flash units capable of E-TTL (2) which offer two flashes in one unit at this time.
FYI - The Metz 54MZ-4 does

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...95&forum_id=53
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote